The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Still Wont Idle (BC 272 Cams?)

mitsuturbo

You can do some simple diagnostics to try and isolate the issue. The intake manifold is receiving too much air from somewhere. Choke off all possible entry points at the same time.

Screw the BISS all the way in and see if it settles down. If there's little or no change, then Check ALL your vac lines coming from the manifold. I'd suggest plugging ALL of them, and then start the car, just to see if it helps with the issue. Yes, that's right.. plug EVERY SINGLE PORT on the intake manifold. Even the brake booster port... If this helps fix the idle, then start re-connecting all the vacuum lines and see when the idle surge starts up again. If this doesn't fix the problem and/or point you in the right direction, then i'd suggest checking for leaks at the intake manifold flanges.. both at the TB and the head.

mitsuturbo

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
im not talking down on AMS they do good work but

No. They most obviously do NOT do good work. Clearly you've been misled. After seeing in a previous thread how much of your hard earned money they've liberated from you, you would do well to listen to some of the advice given here, and seek out someone who knows what the f*** they're doing.

prove_it

Quoting 90blacktsi:
Post a thread and a log on the ecmlink forums . If your tuning with the LINK that's the forum you want to be on . Very helpfull over there

Uh, send the log to me. There are lots of members on here that have LINK and are very talented with it.

I would love to see a log of what going on. My bet is that the settings are off, or you have a faulty ISC. Way more common than a 2 cylinders failing under 1k. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

WesternMD_VR4

I can try to hook the ecu link up to the computer I have the software but I have never done it myself I'm sure ill find a link on how to do it it's not hard. It's just been so cold and I don't have a garage to work so I really didnt get to work on it like I wanted. And I think AMS messed with the biss screw and couldn't fix it still. I would love to find another place to go idk who works on these older dsms tho

Fiascoxl

If it were warmer I would'nt have a problem coming to take a look at it. keep an eye on the weather, hopefully we will get a mid 50's weekend soon and then can see what I can do.

WesternMD_VR4

I'd drive to you if you are serious, I need any help I can get DSM isn't too big in this mid Atlantic area

mitsuturbo

Quoting WesternMD_VR4:
I can try to hook the ecu link up to the computer I have the software but I have never done it myself I'm sure ill find a link on how to do it it's not hard. It's just been so cold and I don't have a garage to work so I really didnt get to work on it like I wanted. And I think AMS messed with the biss screw and couldn't fix it still. I would love to find another place to go idk who works on these older dsms tho

I didn't realize you had a DSM. For some strange reason i thought you had a Galant VR4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Don't ever trust what someone else SAYS they did. Grab a screwdriver, screw that BISS all the way in, and see what happens. If adjusting the BISS doesn't help, then try blocking off all the vacuum lines on the manifold. You can get some vacuum caps from a parts store for next to nothing. It will aid a great deal in diagnosis of the issue and should take less than 30 minutes.

WesternMD_VR4

I meant these older dsm motors not so much the car I know gvr4isn't a true dsm car, I can check the biss screw It's tough bc I love the car but I don't have alot of motor knowledge when it comes to fixing things

prove_it

If you want I'll help, if your up for a drive, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

WesternMD_VR4

Its been a lil while but as the weather is warming up I decided to upload a video so people can see exactly what the idle is like. The idling is very high and it's burning so rich (like 14-15 and even higher), Now that it's warmed up ill have more time to work on it as I have no where to work on it,I will try some ideas posted earlier on here though.

click

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

14.7 is stoich, and anything higher is lean, not rich.

WesternMD_VR4

Ok so after messing with it a lil with no luck I decided to stop messing with it and am taking it to TPG Tuning in blairsville PA so anyone around that area please throw some feedback, guy seems nice and specializes in DSMs and early mitsubishis. I will keep everyone posted

WesternMD_VR4

ok guys update.. I generally don't bad mouth anyone but I feel this needs to be done...I finally got the head off my car looked at and now they are pretty much telling me everything that is wrong with it...was stuff I paid AMS (Atlantic Motor Sports) Gaithersburg MD 301-869-7700 to fix last fall. ( yes those that remember me I paid almost 3k for motor work to have the head rebuilt and the valves replaced etc.) Well here is the Email TPG Tuning send me after they got into the head

""Whats up! Just got word back from the machine shop, they had a big list of things that was wrong with head. There are TON of stripped bolt holes in the valve cover and cam caps, the valve install heights are all way off, the valve job looks terrible, and the valve guides will need replaced.

Basically, it will most likely cost more to fix this head than to start with a good core. Do you happen to have a spare head? If not we can fix all the issues with this one, I'm waiting for a quote from the machine shop.""

So this is where I stand...Im having it fixed and getting my car back out on the road...I think its crazy that this is the problem when AMS "fixed" all of this for me not even half a year ago.

strokin4dr

bbb

MitchooO

Quoting strokin4dr:
There has to be someone local to you that can set the damn idle for you for a 6 pack.

I don't drink but I work in Hagerstown everyday, I live right across the PA line. I noticed the concern is in Hagerstown. Get ahold of me I may be able to help. If you want to text/call me just PM me I'll send you my Number

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned