The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Can't find a direct answer to FMIC question

bcjjones

I am looking to purchase a FMIC. I know this topic has been brought up several times but I can't seem to find a definite answer. I am wanting to buy either a 1g VRSF kit or a 2g VRSF kit. Just depending on what is truly easier to set up. I've read of people doing the 1g and the 2g but not with a whole of explanation.

I still have a/c and plan on keeping it. From those of you who have done it, or have actually seen it done. Did y'all hook up a 2g kit or a 1g kit?

MellowVR4

ive used the 1g, even tho i had to mess around with different piping, but it came out decent.

bcjjones

Were you able to keep your a/c?

Also where did you find the extra piping and if you can recall what you needed?

cupajoe

I just actually mocked up my 1g VRSF IC this weekend with A/C. It is a super tight fit on the driver side but it'll fit and only required some trimming.

MellowVR4

I removed my a/c, but it should work if i remember correctly.

bcjjones

Also Cupajoe, were you able to just use the piping included in the 1g kit or did you have to source out some other piping?

EfiniX

Yes they do, and it's very easy to install.

And yes, it's more expensive than the VRSF ($360 if you get the j-pipe), but for me it's a question of what your time is worth. Not wanting my car out of commission for weeks while I shoe-horn in an intercooler kit for a different car was worth an extra $440. And if you want to be picky, the ETS is 720cu", while the VRSF is 672cu". Who knows what kind of difference that makes, but hey, it's something.

I'm not saying don't go for it. Just know what you are getting into. I can't count the number of times I've gone the less expensive route, opting to do the work myself, only to discover later on that I wish I had just shelled out the extra ducats to do it right and quickly.

Incidentally, I need stock fogs if anyone is selling a set...

Last edited:

ktmrider

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting bcjjones:
Yea but the ETS kit is 900 bucks

Damn, I thought it was closer to $700.

They used to run a sale once a year for $700ish shipped. Stopped when our boys in PDX went under.

Also wish people would start these kind of threads with, "I'm too cheap/broke to buy the right part" instead of having to be called out on it.

EfiniX

Well that's a little over the top. Maybe he's into the shadetree mechanic thing. Maybe he just like the project. Maybe he doesn't want to spend $900 on the kit and so what if he doesn't have or want to spend the money.

At least he's not parting it out, right?

My guess is that he's just trying to find the best of both worlds. I would agree that rarely works the way you want, but as a KTM rider, you probably knew that already.

5OF2k

I ran the VRSF kit on #5 without issue on a T67. I would up running a diffrent hotside pipe and used a couple different couplers, but had to due to the T67 and it's needs as well as running a Magnus SMIM. click

The only thing I HAD to modify to get it to properly fit was the length of the hot side pipe coming from the end tank, adn all i did was shorten it by about 3". BUT, Im also running a JDM front, for what its worth.

Hope that helps!

P.S. this intercooler puts up with abuse. 20lbs on a T67 with a tubular manifold and NO heat wrap and it still didnt heatsoak, even with the hotside pipe only being less than 2" from the DP

cupajoe

PM'd and also included pictures! Let me know if you have anymore questions and I'll snap some more pictures for you. This kit is worth the little you have to trim and shortest route possible.

ktmrider

Quoting EfiniX:
Well that's a little over the top. Maybe he's into the shadetree mechanic thing. Maybe he just like the project. Maybe he doesn't want to spend $900 on the kit and so what if he doesn't have or want to spend the money.

At least he's not parting it out, right?

My guess is that he's just trying to find the best of both worlds. I would agree that rarely works the way you want, but as a KTM rider, you probably knew that already.

Fair enough but reading his first post ( Want to buy a FMIC and keep my AC ) and being a relative new member I made an assumption it was more money than ability. And we all know how most of these "mods" end, they ultimately spend more money/time than an ETS kit would have "cost" them. How much is your time worth to you?!?

On the KTM I/we ride them because they fit our frame better. Definitely NOT a cost thing, way more expensive than Japanese models. I'm 6'6", most Japanese bikes are sized at best to 6' only.

jnava

Staff member
That is true KTM, when Curtis sold me his ETS kit, I had A/C and it all fitted with just some minor details to work out and it was perfect. As a matter of fact, I'm getting an ETS GVR4 specific fmic, again . I sold mine for $650 plus shipping, I saw other kits go up for $500. Just spend it, and you wont regret it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts