The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Camber plates == clunking

skivittlerjimb

My GC's did that until I installed the camber plates. The free length of my front springs is a tad bit shorter than I would like. I'll have to look up the exact length that I have. They never did it while driving, only when turning the wheel with the car stationary or just creeping along. Tender/helper springs would be ideal, but then so would spending an extra $1k on a full Hot Bits set up!

When I installed the camber plates, I'm guessing that between the Hot Bits-supplied metal bushing, the stock washer, the stock upper spring perch (which I reinstalled just to keep splashes and such away from the bottom of the camber plates), I took up the bit of the slack between the Ground Control upper spring hat/perch and the spring that had been allowing the clunking/binding to occur when the car was at rest.

As for the condition of your strut bearing, it's hard to tell, but they should rotate pretty freely. If you take the strut completely out of it, can you spin the camber plate easily around the bearing with no binding/scraping, etc.?

If the camber plates bearings are good, you may want to consider a longer free length spring. The nice thing about GC is that pretty much any combo. of spring rate, free length, and spring overall diameter is available relatively cheaply. Also, you could raise your ride height up a bit and see if you still have the clunking and binding problem. Good luck!

-Jim B.
1432/2000

Armitage

The camber plates are brand new and have all of a week's worth of daily driving on them only. The bearings swivel smoothly in their housings, but I don't know about rotation, I'll take it apart tonight. Perhaps there's a manufacturing defect?

steve

Quote:
When the car is sitting on a flat surface not moving, springs fully loaded, and I turn the wheel, the spring binds and clunks.

My KYBs did that, I believe there was a problem with the way everything was assembled. PM atc250r he took it back apart for me and fixed it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts