The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cam timing question

presterone

So the cam timing marks on the 1G head, are they really supposed to line up flush with the top of the head? My marks line up together and are inline with the head but they meet a little bit above the top of the cylinder head. So I guess they are parallel with the top of the head and the cam lobes on cyl.1 are facing away like the valve is closed so I beleive my marks are right.

First line up the two marks on the cams so "they" are level, then Count the valley's and the hills of the belt, should be 39/41 for teeth. If anything else comes up after you count them you timing is off.

presterone

I don't quite understand you want me to start counting the teeth of the belt from one mark to the other, all i want to know is are the marks on the cams perfectly level with the top of the head or are they parallel with the marks slightly above the head.

like this

exhaust cam mark ->

Yes so line those up. Then count the teeth of the timing belt once they are aligned from one cam gear to the next but just count the "ridges" of the belt, not the ridges of the cam gears. So start from either end count to the other end. You will have 39/41, ridges and valleys. I will take a picture when I get time to explain so you can see a visual....

presterone

thanks man i appreciate it. I can't visualize exactly what you are saying because when the marks on the gears line up they are not touching the belt at all

ok here ya go, sorry for the crude drawing. So line up the middle timing marks, then count from the "side" timing mark (on the outside of the cam gear) all the way to the other "side" timing mark on the other cam gear. You count the "peaks" and the vallys of the timing belt, you get 39 of one and 41 of the other.

img.php

tektic

This is really throwing me off. How am I supposed to get 41 of one and 39 of the other? I have 39 of each. One mark starts on a notch and the other ends on a groove. Is this information accurate? I just adjusted my timing belt four or five times and couldn't get these numbers. Even looked at a motor with stock gears.

thomcasey

Just line up the marks, level with each other, ensuring the pins on each cam point up, like below:

thomcasey

Never heard of the tooth count. I set mine as above, always good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts