The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cam degreeing issues (resolved)

Mn92gvr4

so I have a set of crower (not brian crower) cams. "stage 2". intake cam degreed out perfect but the exhaust cam is kicking my ass. Crower tech help has been able to confirm that I do in fact have the correct product but has been completely useless in every other aspect.
My spec card says it is suppose to open 36.0 bbdc and close -4.0 btdc (aka atdc)
I have solid lifters in the first valve. Is this not the correct one? If so wth is going on or what am I missing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

MuffinMan7580

Yes, solid lifters go in for cylinder #1. What is kicking your ass?

If I understand how cam degreeing works, you should be showing .040" of lift at 144 degrees, and then .040" of lift at 4 degrees (according to your degree wheel). That's a total of 212 degrees of open valves, you should have max lift @ 250 degrees.

BTW, I've never degree'd an engine, just watched a few instructional videos. Please post up what the actual measurements turn out to be.

Last edited:

Mn92gvr4

Ah I see I left a part out of my first post. I was reading 17 degrees off on opening and 14 degrees off on closing.
Today i tore everything down and started the whole process from scratch. This time i came up with much better numbers. not sure where i went wrong the first time thru but some thing must have been screwy. this time i got 29bbdc on opening and the card says 36bbdc, closing is 11atdc snd the card says 9atdc. just goes to show always double check and take your time.

donniekak

Most cams are spec'd at .050" lift. I always use the centerline method as well. There is an online calculator.
click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned