The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

buynig car without title

VR_IV_MR

Hey I'm looking to buy a 1g as a parts car and the guy says he is waiting to get a new title since he lost it. He has a registration card and said that he will have the bill of sale notarized? Then send me the title when he gets it? Does this seem legit? Would you wait until he gets the title to buy the car?

citymunky

Until the title is signed by the seller and is in your hands, the car is still legally his.

On the other hand if you are buying the car as a parts car with no intention of ever reselling the shell then I wouldn't care.

Steve885

I bought my galant without a title... The owner did come through for me and got it taken care of.. And I payed with PayPal so I had recourse if he didn't...hold half the money till he gets it

ktmrider

Wait til seller has the title IN HAND and IN HIS NAME! Trust me you don't want to find out the hard way that he: never registered it; got it from a friend of a friend of a friend; has three previous signed but never registered owners, etc.

Just isn't worth it IMO.

In Cali, you can get a "Request for duplicate title" form and there is a portion there for title change that as long as its notarized its a legal bill of sale

desant78

I bought 995a without a title. RI doesnt require a titlr after a time period, so the car changed hands in RI but never had a title. I just went to the dmv, and they told me what i needed before hand.

Jesus_Negros

In VA if he is the registered owner a Bill of Sale is okay with the DMV, they'll issue you a title. BUT on if the bill of sale is from the last known registed owner. Or the owner could pay $10 and get a new title.

citymunky

^
Are you sure?

Jesus_Negros

Yes it specifically says so in their lawbook.

citymunky

I'm going to have to find that in writing as it might help with my Void title Passat issue.

ktmrider

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
In VA if he is the registered owner a Bill of Sale is okay with the DMV, they'll issue you a title. BUT on if the bill of sale is from the last known registed owner. Or the owner could pay $10 and get a new title.

Key wording here is the LAST KNOWN or REGISTERED OWNER of that state.

This question is asked all the time folks. Who cares what Insurance card or even Registration slips say, only what the State has on record at the DMV. Until the name on the title is verified/shown the "seller" cannot pass that car on. Quit trying to find a loophole based on someone's internet suggestion(s). Unless you want to lose money and in extreme situations have a felony car theft tag on your record.

Jesus_Negros

Look in their law book. They have one I promise. It has all their rules and regs to the fullest. And will even contradict their website.

desant78

^+1 that's how jersey worked. With the last known registered owner, and bill of sale they generated a title and gave it to me. I didn't have a title to give them to prove I bought. Again, I checked with the DMV they told me the procedure.

VR_IV_MR

forget it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

someone else accepted one of my offers. picking it up tomorrow at 8pm. too excited. 93 eclipse gsx incoming!

citymunky

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Look in their law book. They have one I promise. It has all their rules and regs to the fullest. And will even contradict their website.

Looks like I'm going to need to find said "law book."

Jesus_Negros

Do you know any attornys? They should have one. Thats how I learned of it.

tektic

I was considering buying a car with a title that was signed. Is that any eases to register?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts