The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Buying a galant with rust, what are your thoughts?

spooln4fun

Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying this from the new owner. click With the rust it has, and needing replaced what are some options in doing this? Any other issues it has i'm ok in dealing with but this rust has me concerned. Looking for input and suggestions, have you had to deal with this and was it worth fixing in your opinion.

Thanks,
Matt

MellowVR4

Most likely the rockers are pretty shot. Kind of really depends what you got planned for it.. Is it a car that is worth modding it to the max, maybe not, is it good for a fast daily? yes! But you can also repair the rust but it wont be easy.. you can stop it from spreading some what with POR15 or something like that.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Bottom line, it's going to be a difficult, time consuming, and costly repair that will take special tools and knowledge. You're going to need to fabricate panels, weld, cut, paint, etc...And you need the tools and knowledge to do all of the above.

Check out this thread: click

Scroll down to my post where I link to 3 threads. Your rust repair will fall in between "Bobdole's rust repair" thread and the "MAJOR rust repair" thread.

The last thing to consider is the cost of a repair like this. Even doing it yourself, you'll be into the job $500-$1,000 bucks before you know it.

Edit: I reference using a small Campbell Hausfeld 110v gasless MIG welder to do repairs in my post. Although this worked fine on 1837 for a very small repair, it was complete sh*t for the larger repair I had to do on 820. In short, you'll need a legit MIG/TIG welder, and someone who knows how to use it for a job like yours.

JondoeVR4

^Words of wisdom.

NateCrisman

Quoting spooln4fun:
Hey everyone. Looking for input and suggestions, have you had to deal with this and was it worth fixing in your opinion.

Matt

That looks like a parts car to me, holes in cosmetic panels like rockers is one thing. Rot that is extending up through the front firewall/door jam area to where it's affecting the door mounting is bad. I would have to really see it or better photos to judge, but Iv got pretty extensive experience with these cars stripped down naked.....when the rot starts to get visible around the body cladding....it's usually rotted pretty hardcore in the subframe mounts and in the structural boxes of the unibody, as well as in the wheel wells and trunk areas.

Is it worth buying to beat around in....and use until something major fails....SURE. Is it worth buying for parts: SURE. Is it worth buying thinking you can restore a rotted out unibody by cutting/welding...in general no, just find one with no rot/rust as they don't honestly sell for that much more.

The other thing to consider is the original add listed "brakes go to floor" indicating the rot is not just in the cosmetic areas.. not only does rot have a structural impact on these cars, it has a functional impact. Plan on every fuel line, brake line, parking brake cable disintegrating when you touch it when it gets to the point that corrosion has gotten to the brake lines under each body attachment point. Rot often gets the rear brake calipers, the front radiator support/brackets, and makes doing wear item maintenance on these cars into long term projects when bolts are snapping off everywhere.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Partout?

MellowVR4

stop it lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts