The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Buy of the century!! (well... of my week) (( I'm Gloating!))

fivestardsm

Ok , so I was surfing e-bay last week and I came across an ecu for sale.
The title said: "ECU 1992 Mitsubishi Galant AWD Turbo Remanufactured" So I clicked on the link and it was described as follows:

"1992 MITSUBISHI GALANT AWD TURBO REMANUFACTURED ECU FROM PYTHON INDUSTRIES. BRAND NEW IN BOX. HAS BEEN TESTED AND INSPECTED BY PYTHON INDUSTRIES AND INCLUDES THE ECU TEST ANAYLYSIS LOG."

So im thinking about it and wondering if it was actually a vr4 ecu because the case was black with only a Python Injection sticker on it with a part # 129-666-101800. So I try and do a search on Python's website but came up with nothing. I figured i'd just email the guy and ask if he had more info on it, but after I did thought to my self if it was actually a VR4's, then I would be stupid to let it slide while I was waiting for a reply. So I said F*** IT!! just buy it and if it is then super great!! If not, I would put it back up for sale after I found out for sure what it was for.

So I waited for it to show up, and when it did I was like a 5 year old at Christmas! All the paper work was with it, but it didn't actually say that it was for a VR4 or Turbo 2.0, so I called Python. I got on the phone with the guy in the ecu department and he told me it was for a 2.0 galant... not really enough info, so I asked if he could find anymore info and he proceded to put me on hold for another 15 minutes. The whole time Im thinking to my self just break the seal and see if it is an e-prom. He finally came back on the phone and said : "Yes, it is for the 91-92 turbo galant"

I screamed like a little girl and decided to split the seal to see the e-prom!! Sure as hell, there it was!!! And all this for just $75 shipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Anyway, i was just so excited, i had to tell someone....
So there you go... let the hate mail flow!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Steve.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
You got lucky, could have been for a g-gsx. Post pics.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Well I thought of that as well, but I own one of those also and figured it would be ok to have a spare!! This is the only pic I have right now, Boxed it up after I put the case back together.

fivestardsm

Yeah it looks brand new inside and out too!!! Nice splatter black! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Terry Posten

Look at the caps and post up the brand name.

If they are "Rubycon", they MUST be replaced ASAP!

fivestardsm

The ecu was re-built in I believe 03, Is there a year that those caps were specifically used in?
Steve.

fivestardsm

Also, What is wrong with the "rubycon caps?
Steve.

Terry Posten

No, they are just what the factory used. Mitsu was not the only ones using that brand. Many cars used them and they are ticking timebombs.

Even if they look great, they must be replaced before they leak.

Real simple to find out, just open it up and look at the side of the capacitors.

Olson

Quote:
What is Python?

A big snake

fivestardsm

They are "nichicon" and "xicon"
They are not the stockers.
Steve.
Bad pic..

fivestardsm

Quote:

What is Python?

A big snake

LOL^^^

Python Injection is a rebuilder/ manufacturer of ecus and injectors along with other fuel injection stuff aswell.
click

Steve.

JNR

Quoting olson:
Quote:
What is Python?

A big snake

That would be "What is a python?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Notice the capitalization, referencing the brand name and/or company of this modified/refurbished ECU. yeah, I'm being a smart ass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, what makes this special and better than finding a pot of gold? $75 is a good price for an ECU, that's for sure, but in reading it, sounded like a $1k piece, or something...ha ha, I know the feeling though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:

fivestardsm

It wasnt the fact of the re-maufacturer of the ecu that I was excited about, it was the fact that I found a new-reman for $75 shipped. You dont get that lucky everyday... well I dont anyway.
Steve.

JNR

lol, missed my edit...I was just giving you a hard time, but I was curious about the python thing

fivestardsm

Thats cool, I did miss the edit, but I saw that it was light hearted! The title was so that people would read it...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve.

Terry Posten

The caps are OK then. The old Rubycon parts are junk.

Great deal for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

fivestardsm

Cool, so then the ones that are in it are the updates? I have seen many different brands, but never knew which were good. I did check the invoice that came with the ECU, and it was remaned/ tested in 2000, it was said to have been on the shelf for a while.
It has never been used tho.
Steve.

Last edited:

rgeier11

I have one, but it is bad. One of the traces on the inside was reworked at one point as well as the caps being replaced.

The only cool thing about the ecu is that it is black, but I assume they just painted it.

My best story was at the AMS swap meet when I got a 2g EPROM for $20 off of a guy parting out his talon in the parking lot. I sold it the same day for around $200 I believe.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts