The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

building of a ggsx

tektic

I had an aftermarket valve cover gasket that didn't look anything like the original. It didn't seal at all. When I make hard turns the oil would come right out of the sides. I cleans and reused the original on with a good costing of black RTV. Sealed up nice and tight now. Little oil seeps from the corner of the metal head gasket. Its very minor. Not going to worry about it. If I use a metal gasket again ill be using holimer.

desant78

Hey man, I just caught up on the whole.

Very impressive build! Tons of hard work, and dedication. Glad the car is working, and it was great seeing it in person. After seeing the original pictures I realized the car you brought to MOD clearly had a TON of work.

If you are ever in the Philly area again, let me know!

tektic

Cool. I will! And thank you very much.

I have a bunch of ideas for galant parts and other car projects that seem like they would be right up your alley.

tektic

Found a spot for my oil catch can and made a bracket. Tightened up my intercooler piping and installed a new gasket at the turbo. I added a turbo smart mbc to the wastegate line. Its set to around 17psi. Was thinking I needed a bigger turbo after driving around today, but after the mbc I think ill hold off. At least until after suspension is complete. She's really fast as is.

tektic

Been super busy lately but I got s few hours off today and swaped the rear driver door on the old gal. I had a big dent in the top and the window trim wouldn't fit on right.it realy irked me. Problem solved... Too bad swapping everything over to the current door took almost 6 hours.

I really wanted to swap back to the proper dsm/vr4 slave cylinder (3kgt currently), however the one I had looked a lot more beat up than I rememberd. There were grooves in the mating surface to the compression line and I didn't want to risk a leak. Clutch pedal is nice and high but very heavy. I'm trying to make the car more tame. A lighter clutch pedal sure would help in traffic.

tektic

Cars running pretty damn good @ 17-18#s. tuner pro log: click
Issues yet to be sort out:
-Upgrade suspension
-Oil seepage from head gasket
-Decel noise
-Aero
-Body & paint

tektic

Out of nowhere I'm getting 5th gear popouts. Like 10 today. Going to have to pull the end case and have a look to see if everything is tight.

I also get water in my trunk along the side galleys. It doesn't seem to be coming from the top as none of the carpet or fabric walls are wet. What's down there that's prone to leak? Tail lights maybe?

Last edited:

tektic

Had the end case off and the nut on the end of the main shaft was loose. The screws on the inside of the end case were all chewed up. So was the inside of the 5th gear syncro.

There seemed to be quite a bit of play in the secondary shaft. Im guessing this is the drive train noise I was hearing prior to this incident.

OldHairyBastard

That was for your fifth gear and would let it pop out of gear in fifth while loose like that. If the shafts are loose then it's time for a rebuild.

tektic

Oil changed after 2k. Oil came out clear and completely devoid of any material. Super happy about that. Fixed the air conditioner just in time for summer... Now going to redo some suspension choice.

tektic

So this car has been on Jack stands since January 20th.I finally got my 4 spider center differential last week. Thursday I shimmed and assembled the transmission. Today I bolted it in. There were some issues with the dowel pins and the rear bolt hole was stripped out on the replacement transmission case. Always Chase your holes with taps before you do this. I had to pull the trans back out to put a coil in the back of the case. One of the mount holes was completely stripped out too. Had to go with a 5/8x20 bolt because the hole Was so bad. Fixed some minor issues with the shifter cable bushings. I ended up using a thin. .042" washer as a shim under the pivot ball and swapping back to the standard bore slave cylinder. It's still the 3kgt style thought. Axels are in and the exhaust and transfer case are bolted on. I'm going to finish it up this week hopefully. I'm pretty sure my last transmission broke because the engine mounts were wrong. Added stress on the output shaft cracking that beading race like it did. Hopefully all that is behind me now. I have new reccaro knockoffs to install as well as ultra racing front fender braces. Would also like to set up the wires to activate a dual stage bov actuator. It never ends.

tektic

I found something shiny and I had to have it.

And my duralast gold battery that I got in 2015 won't hold a charge. I didn't get to drive it today. I did however spend 5 hours installing a new drivers seat.

Last edited:

tektic

So, success! 5 year warranty on the battery got me a new one. Started the car up and drove it around. Transmission was working as it should. The smaller bore 3kgt slave cylinder (stock Galant bore size) is working properly with the regular length rod and .047" pivot shim. No noise no issues clutch engagement is over an inch from the floor.

Next day I advanced my exhaust cam 3 degrees and instantly noticed a difference. 18psi of vacuum at idle and a log that shows no knock after pulling just a little timing above 6k. This adjustment was made based on reexamining my notes I took while originally degreeing them, before final assembly. I may also still advance my intake cam 1.6°. It's working pretty well now though. The 225/45/18 tires make the ride a little better too.

The next project is to fix some wiring issues I have with the solenoids. The gsx model doesn't have these with the exception of the purge control solenoid. The #105 pin is populated though. Turns out that it come to the resistor heater in the o2 sensor. I'm pretty sure it's powered the same way and I can just connect it to pin 101 (ignition switched ground) instead but I will double check before I connect it that way. I had some wires run in to the cabin for other reasons and just decided to repurpose them. Now I have 4 outputs. I'm considering connecting my wide band to my ecu as a native 5v o2 monitor and a map sensor to the egrt input. Some guys running pressure based Maps instead of load based. Thought I might give it a try. After all this checks out I need to get my cyclone to work. And after that I want to use another solenoid to switch between open and fast release on my dodge garage modded bov. A little more work but the end is in sight.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good progress. Keep at it.

tektic

Been a while since I updated this. Mostly working on my turbo mighty max swap. I'm Finally getting around to install some parts I've had around for too long. Here's a new solution for evo rear suspension swaps and a 1" ST sway bar installed.

Soon to come rear lightened bumper support and a nice fresh hood and rear bumper cover.

tektic

Still running strong. Bilsteins ride nice. Turbo smart bov I installed is So much better then the modified stock one. Wish I knew how Many issues that thing was Causing. It’s bigGet though and I really need to swap out my stock rad fan now for proper clearance.

Powder coated the evo 8 rims added New tires 235/45/17. Scored some 3kgt brakes today and will be Adding Them and cobra 13” rotors next week. Installed some vent shades I had sitting around for almost 3 years. And used the aluminum seat brackets from the group to reinstall my aftermarket seats for a better fit. The seatbelt bracket is just kind of floating between the console and seat though. I guess that usually bolts to the track on an evo seat?

Things to do.

Still need a proper turbo oil drain line will be switching to 10an next oil change.

Would like a second oil catch can. What type of hose do you guys buy for these lines?

Swap to FP exhaust manifold and ha68 turbo.

Swap cat back to new one I acquired. Needs a v band welded on.

Rad fan swap.

Fix the drive door window switch.

3g eclipse hvac control swap would be nice so I can put the gauges in the knob spots. Has anyone completed this?
That might be it. I’d call it complete at that point.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts