The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

building of a ggsx

tektic

Looks a little different. Oil pan installed with new bolts and "the right stuff" gasket maker. Half inch npt threaded oil return flange installed on that. Head torqued down with evo 3 mls head gasket Arp studs. Ported 2g ceramic coated manifold with new oem studs and nuts. Evo3 7cm hot side with arp bolts ported and 2g 02 housing ported.
Ceramic coated my water pipe
On the other side cyclone manifold cleans up and installed with fabbed coil bracket. Tb is on the harness is attached and connected. I swaped out the lifters for a new set. The other set were in a failed motor. Would have just cleaned them but now I have 2 sets of revised lifters.
On the sides the rear main seal is installed with new hardware. The gates racing timing belt is installed with new pulleys. Timing cover ac bracket water pump ps pump and engine mount, all installed.Waiting on a bracket for my turbo tb. A cover for my small 16g and then it will be time to install the flywheel.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Why did you opt for a evo8 pump?

tektic

Not as loud as aftermarket. I'm using a smaller turbo than evo 8, and it was only $25 with less than 30k on it.

Edit: also not upgrading fpr till turbo upgrade. Will be monitering fuel presure with in car gauge.

Last edited:

tektic

It's been 11 Months since I bought this car and started this project. I can happy report that the engine is now back where its supposed to be, and let me tell you. It looks Marvelous!

b9389d225ae111e3a2e61297a06c7829_8.jpg

Couple issues I ran into:
-Trying to bottom tap a flywheel bolt hole on a forged crank sux ass
-Cyclone support bracket needed to be notched to fit my a/c compressor
-Brake reservoir plug doesn't reach after wire tuck
-My custom coil pack blocks the compressor freon fill point
-Eclipse gsx manual shifter cables don't fit galant gsx
Edit: they fit and function fine but use all the bushings.

Next step is going to be getting the oil cooler set up and then get some oil in this engine and priming the system. Then fit the inter cooler install the alternator and finish the wiring and vacuum lines. By then I hope I have found a set of manual shifter cables. I still have to put the transfer case and axles together. I still need to reinstall the power steering lines and radiator. Only then maybe Ill start on the exhaust..... I should have bought a vr4 in the first place.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Where is the coil pack bracket being mounted? Stock Cyclone manifold bolt-in area? Interested. I just got all mine in, and running and I remember we were both using Cyclones.

tektic

I removed the coil pack before cutting this bracket to allow proper fitment of my stock a/c compressor.

I continued to cut along the green line.

Here are the earlier shots from THIS post.

Last edited:

tektic

State of affairs:

Valve cover ets fmic oil cooler alternator oil pressure sending unit line and power steering lines are in place.

Still need ground cable for block tranny and alternator.
Need maf and bov setup. Wishing now I went speed density. I'm very close to first start up. I need to write my bin file still. Buy some spark plugs and some trans and transfer case fluid. I put Lucas oil in my rear diff. Is that bad? No-one sells shockproof locally.

tektic

S&k speed sold me my redline fluids.
Maf setup is done got the filter. Recalculate is still an issue. Do rs type s knock offs have a recalculate piece?
Transfercase is in, as well as the lower front subframe cross members. Still need ground wire. The top rad hose is a lot shorter with the DSM rad and therm housing. I cut at least 2.5 inches off.

she is back on four Jack stands. I'm up to the exhaust. I Installed the down pipe and started mocking up the rest. I'm caniblizing a 1g exhaust and after removing the can and hangers it looks like when orented just right it will be tucked up hella tight while still having enough clearence everywhere. Its going to work well, As long as Ade can weld some proper hangers next Sunday.

Last edited:

ade

note to self, look up how to make proper welds on yubetube.

ade

you mean like pulling a trans in below 0 degree weather to shim the pivot ball, just to find out that wasn't the problem! played out pretty well for me.. i learned how to pull a gvr4 trans in below 0 degree weather /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

Last year this week I pulled the engine.

Today I'd like to report that all the plumbing for the intake and intercooler is done. I confirmed the wiring for the starter was done correctly, and am ready to run the motor for the first time.

Should I wait till the car is ready to drive, or should I run it while JSB?

mitsuturbo

Run it JSB and check for oil/water/vacuum/air leaks. Check for any odd noises while it's running. Get it up to operating temperature (until rad fans come on) then shut it down. Let it cool off completely and do it again. Get under it and inspect everything closely. Make sure everything is ready to go before you roll it out.

dsmfever

Solid build...I'm liking your progress. I'm also doing a ggsx. I'm I'm about to throw in a 2g 7bolt( i chose a 7 because i have a 0 mile rebuilt one just sitting in my garage) and keep the auto trans though. It is aggravating like you stated but i just want a little more power and boost of course, I'm curious on what ecu your running and the wiring situation.

strokin4dr

A 2g 7 bolt block will not bolt into a 6g galant. There are no provisions for the front and rear mounts to bolt up. You better get creative if that's what you choose to run!

tektic

I'm using an 91eclipse gsx eprom ecu with modified code
Evo maf comp
Injector comp
30psi a/f maps
Fuel cut removed
Double maf logging
That's it for now.

tektic

Ok... So I started it today. Well I tried. It cranked but didn't turn over. I think i blew my ecu. My check engine light doesn't go out. How do I check if i did the wiring correctly for the fuel injector resistor pack? There could also be issues with the code. I'm not sure where to begin.

ade

Sheets alive!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts