The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build thread for 504/1000

strokin4dr

Looking good. I wish I would have taken pics when I did mine.

coyotes

damn dumping money in that thing already! Is the ETS kit worth it?

I too picked up a nice stock one from Oregon a few weeks ago, been working on getting maintenance and some other things done. Hopefully coils, exhaust and some other goodies soon to come.

manikbastrd

It was fairly easy to install. I only had to do one cut on the body, and then cut a decent chunk out of the crash bar. I already noticed a serious increase in responsiveness and power (just from the Seat of my pants) without a new tune. I am probably just running a little lean though. The one thing that is not fun/was unexpected was the throttle body bolts. You need at least one shorter throttle body bolt to make the kit work. Overall I would say it is worth it. I also got a few bucks off thanks to Robert at ETS.

G

Staff member
Nice, did you do a timing belt job first along with all the other maintenance?

coyotes

My car came with all service records, last timing belt job seemed to be done last over 100k ago. So I did it and it seems the belt had been done in the last 10-20k miles... Oops. Must have lost that receipt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Better to be safe than sorry though. When I first got the car I was looking at all sorts of crazy mods, now I've decided to go crazy on maintenance first.

manikbastrd

G,
No I haven't done a timing belt. The car came with records that had the last timing belt done at 150K or so, so it is not due yet. Also, I wont be too upset if the motor blows because it will encourage me to get a stroker in there.

manikbastrd

Things I did today...
-New Plugs...NGK of course!
-Slim fan installed to make room for activities
-Battery Relocated to trunk...also for activity space...
Things I ordered today...
-DSM Link
-1g to 2g maf adapter
-HKS 272/272s
-Wally 255 LPH w/ Install kit
-Aeromotive A-1000 w/ Install kit
-Ground Controls w/ KYB AGX
-FIC 750s
-New wheel bearings for the front
Tomorrow I am checking for boost leaks...woot!!!

Had to get a little creative on the mounting for the fuseblock and starter cable...

Last edited:

manikbastrd

So I put in a stock Mitsu clutch master and slave, along with a stainless clutch line. Lifted the pedal feel a little, but not enough to make me happy. I am now positive that when the shop for the P.O. put the clutch in they did not shim it properly.

Not looking forward to having to pull the tranny. I think I will wait until I get a new clutch and maybe a built tranny to throw in it.

manikbastrd

That's the thing that throws me off, I thought it looked pretty much in the center, but I am adjusted all the way out on the rod, and I am using the OEM mitsu slave cyl (gold ~3/4"), as well as a stainless line, so I shouldn't be having any expansion of the line. I bled it all correctly also. I will pull the boot off and take some pictures this afternoon. Maybe someone here has another idea?

G

Staff member
They probably did not replace the fulcrum.

snailspool

Either the fulcrum pivot is worn down, or the clutch pedal bushing is. can you pull the clutch out, by hand, after releasing the clutch from normal operation?

manikbastrd

If you mean the pedal test, no it does not pull out any further. It seems solid. I think it is just the fulcrum or shimming or something :/

manikbastrd

So I have a few updates on 504...

The oil filter stud came loose and spit all my oil out, separated the sandwich plate from the filter housing. Pretty sure I blew up my 14b, it is making some very unhappy noises.

On the plus side, I got a new catch can (not installed yet), a new AFPR (installed), Walbro 255 (installed), new fuel filter (installed), DSM Link V3 (installed) and HKS 272/272s (not installed).

Link is working well, and the AFPR/Wally are solid.

Luckily I have a Evo III 16g that just got rebuilt, gonna have it checked out and install it pretty soon and get tuned.

Here are a couple of pics of the AFPR install

Cheers!

GSTwithPSI

Damn, that sucks about your turbo. It's funny you mention that though, because the same thing just happened to me today. Luckily, I caught it before it lost much oil, and did any damage. Your car is looking great!

transparentdsm

wow Brett glad nothing serious happened, really look forward to seeing you at the shootout. on another note manik your car looks great and i love the upgrades your doing slowly. car looks like its coming along great.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Damn, that sucks about your turbo. It's funny you mention that though, because the same thing just happened to me today. Luckily, I caught it before it lost much oil, and did any damage. Your car is looking great!

Yeah that is lucky for you, glad to hear it didn't end up worse. Oh well though...them's the breaks sometimes.

TransparentDSM thanks! I am trying to take it slowly and do the right mods in the right order. I eventually want to do a big turbo with a built motor and transmission, but I have a feeling that will not be in the near future unless this motor goes the way of the turbo haha

manikbastrd

Update for this week. I got some new parts in (yay for Tax returns) and have some more on the way. I will post a full list when I get everything in. Installed my GC sleeves with KYB AGX shocks thanks to my buddy Zach (antilagged). Still no luck on the turbo situation. The local turbo shop, Bell Turbo sourced me a new tdo5h 11 fin shaft direct from Jay-Pan, and whenever that comes in/gets balanced I will be installing it. Dropped off my Slowboy Stage VI head (from 724/1000) at the local shop and I need to replace two of the +1mm exhaust valves and am waiting on parts for that.

Here are some pics of the GCs installed. I can't get them to rotate sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There's my baby JSB, waiting for me to do the SS Brake lines...

manikbastrd

This weeks update has a decent amount of fun stuff on it...I have been on spring break so I have had some time to do a bunch of work on the Galant lately. I have traced out all boost leaks I can, and found that I have a leaky throttlebody. I have a rebuilt one on its way from Steve Monroe with high boost seals. I was also happy to find a huge box that contained my exhaust when I got home Thursday! So, I ported my 1g O2 housing, installed my FP exhaust manifold, installed a freshly rebuilt E316G courtesy of Bell Turbos here in Philomath Oregon, and installed the CMP 3" Mandrel bent exhaust. I have been playing around trying to get the car tuned, but I am getting some really bad phantom knock (I think) issues. I installed a new knock sensor and turned up the thresholds on ECMLink to 2500rpm and 25% throttle, so that should help out.

I really have to say I forgot how much fun it was to drive the car. It is a blast! After having driven the car for a little while, I realized that I had a crack in the V/C and that the gasket wasn't sealing properly, so I also installed a Powder coated black one I had in my parts pile haha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts