The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

build #62 - UPDATE 9/10/13 w/ great news

Whoodoo

At 3:00 am, my car arrived at my house in NY!

First, I gotta take all the crap out of the backseat/trunk, then I will see about getting the frame pulled and all the front end damage fixed. Maybe I'll finally start getting this build underway because now I won't be relying on 62 for DD duty.

I'm stoked!

ducttapeguy

Hell yeah man. Take pics of our cars together. It will be hawt yo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Whoodoo

Holy crap... It's happening. I have a budget and I'm bringing her back to the streets. She is currently at the frame shop awaiting her spot in line on the frame machine and we'll see how much it takes to get her straight again. I sure as hell hope its doable because I just spent $200 on a new Duralast Yellowtop and $905 on a CMPE full 2.5" turbo back exhaust!

I have a bumper coming (thanks Diego), and will be searching out the rest of the parts once I get her back and can really find out what is salvageable or not. Boy is this exciting or what? I am going to need to practice a little self control and refrain from going JSB for too long because she deserves to be on the road.

But damn there is so much I want to do - I have some 3kgt trailing arms that I want to put on, I would love to do a whole undercarriage treatment for rust prevention, I have always toyed with the idea of splicing an evo 3 hood bulge onto a VR4 hood...

Number one goal is to get her fixed and running so I can DD her and get rid of some monthly expenses (by by veloster). If I can sneak some slight upgrades in the process, then that's great too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

Whoodoo

First off, they pulled the frame rail back out straight and it only cost me $300. I was expecting to pay a lot more than that, so I can justify some extra expenses elsewhere. I have located a USDM bumper (thanks Diego), grill (thanks maroonmetallic), and brand new hood and fenders. I just picked them up today, but a quick peek into the packaging and I think they are nile black! Wouldn't that be cool...

Anyways, I took the old fenders off and boy is this car clean underneath. It's too bad she was in an accident because look at these rust-free fenders!

I installed the CMPE exhaust a few weekends ago. It's a turbo back 2.5" with cat, resonator, and dual tips. The exhaust is beautiful and well made, but my only complaint is that the exhaust tips look to be rotated maybe 5 or 10 degrees.

Now I just need to locate a few more bits and pieces, get them all installed, and have an alignment and some brake work done and the she will be ready for NY registration.

GSX_TC

She's getting there!

Whoodoo

CMPE suggested the exhaust was a a little low and that I should try to adjust the hangars. I'll try that and see if I can rotate it up a little.

Whoodoo

Just picked the car up from the body shop yesterday.

Thanks to Diego, seizer, and minneSNOWta for the front end components, I now have a whole car again! The hood and fenders are aftermarket, so the front corners of the fenders stick in front of the hood by about a quarter inch. Not ideal, but the point was to get the car back on the road - not win a beauty contest. Plus, I have resigned to the fact that she is no longer the ultra clean and untouched example that she was when I bought her 5 years ago.

I'm getting the brakes checked out, an alignment done, and probably some new tires. Then I'll try to sell the Veloster and put the galant back to work being a daily driver.

minneSNOWta

Nice man, glad we were able to help out. Let's see those foggies shine!

Whoodoo

There are still some little things that I need to take care of. The selector for the AVAC controls won't go past the footwell/direct blow location, there isn't a whole lot of heat coming through the vents, I think i have a baby exhaust leak after the downpipe, the 10 year old head unit sucks, and the idle has issues - really high on cold start, then bumbles and rumbles around 500RPM or thereabouts when warm.

That doesn't stop me from having fun in the snow! click for general hooliganistics

CutlassJim

Quoting Whoodoo:
Just picked the car up from the body shop yesterday.

The hood and fenders are aftermarket, so the front corners of the fenders stick in front of the hood by about a quarter inch.

One of my cars has aftermarket fenders and the same problem. I'm not too happy about it.

GSX_TC

glad you got it all fixed back up, bet your a happy camper now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whoodoo

I still have them. I needed new tires on both sets of wheels so I figured I would put the skinny all seasons on the stock wheels for the winter and then put some nicer summer tires on the rotas when all the snow goes away.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts