The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bruce Kwartler's flywheel explosion

Wow, that is definitely an impressive sight. Unfortunate that the car's wrecked, fortunate that the driver walked away, but impressive nonetheless.

I also would be very interested to see just how a scattershield affects an exploding flywheel. It seems to me, from what I've seen/read, that exploding flywheels tend to shoot out in one plane? The one they're spinning in? And this is why a scattershield doesn't go all the way around, but just around the periphery (sp?) of the bellhousing. Woulld it be possible for a chunk of flywheel to punch through the bellhousing, hit the scattershield and be deflected through the side? Does the scattershield dent and "catch" the shrapnel?

Lucky13

That was just painful to look at. Guess it takes something like that to wake others up to the real danger present.

Glad to hear he's ok.....sux the car is pretty tore up.

91' GVR4 #1758/2000
02' WRX

Jon

Staff member
The most impressive picture I've ever seen was that of Jeff Hill's old Fidanza flywheel. The torque from his motor broke the flywheel. The center piece stayed bolted on and the rest of the flywheel just came off and bounced around inside the bell housing.

I don't remember but I don't think the bellhousing was even broken from the flywheel. Talk about a safer flywheel!

I believe Fidanza has since made the flywheel stronger in that area and that is the only one I know of that has broken.

Since the other thread got locked:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by geoff@machv:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by udriveu:
What would make a flywheel blow up like that? other then high revving? Is it affected by amount of power at all? acutal age of the flywheel?

The flywheel grenaded as it's either a lightweight OEM or an aluminum flywheel.

Geoff
Mach V

What I meant was, would you run the risk of blowing one up on a stock car by just revving high?

quote:Originally posted by theymightbegalants:
Wow, that is definitely an impressive sight. Unfortunate that the car's wrecked, fortunate that the driver walked away, but impressive nonetheless.

I also would be very interested to see just how a scattershield affects an exploding flywheel. It seems to me, from what I've seen/read, that exploding flywheels tend to shoot out in one plane? The one they're spinning in? And this is why a scattershield doesn't go all the way around, but just around the periphery (sp?) of the bellhousing. Woulld it be possible for a chunk of flywheel to punch through the bellhousing, hit the scattershield and be deflected through the side? Does the scattershield dent and "catch" the shrapnel?
From what I know a SSSS is just to protect you from being hit by a flywheel and to have it not go flying through the hood causing you to not be able to see and crash. But harry is probibly best to anwser this.

sh*t Im gettin scared now.. Im putting my FP green on this week and have a 2600 w/ a stock resurfaced flywheel.

number3

If the actual high revs are what does it then RPM is RPM and horsepower has nothign to do with it.

If the Torque snaps or shatters the flywheel then power more than RPM dos the distruction.

Bottom line nothing is for certain when a drive line piece lets go. I have seen it exit in one spot leaving the 90% of the bellhousing intact. Jon mention a time when nothing external broke. Obviously it can also f*** the entire car up as well.

Properly replace and maintain the flywheel and related parts with quality parts (sfi rated) and that is all you can really do.

Hey Everyone,

Bruce Kwartler here.

First off -- thanks very much for all the well wishes!!

The most important thing is that I escaped a 100 mph + crash without so much as a scratch. I guess we take forgranted just how fast these cars really are. I did not think a low 12 -- high 11 second car could get into such a crash. The car had just ran an 11.91 pass the week before at 115.5.

I am not sure how old the flywheel was. I part out and fix so many of these cars -- typically when I change my clutch I grab another good looking flywheel from the bunch of many I have and have that one stepped. What I can say about the flywheel was it was a stock DSM 6 bolt flywheel with about 115 to 130K on it -- those are most of the cars I buy. It had been stepped to .610 about 2 or 3 months ago. The car was running an ACT 2600 clutch that was 2 or 3 months and about 1,500 miles and 20 or so drag passes old.

One thing is for certain -- I will not race an AWD DSM again without an SFI certified aftermarket flywheel and one of Harry's scattershields!! I have seen these a few times -- and that is the one I want. Harry sign me up for one!
smile.gif

Here is a rundown on the incident.

It was a very windy day -- When I got to the track -- driving through the gate to pay -- the person in the DSM in back of me says the gate almost blows closed on the Galant. Maybe trying to warn me supernaturally to stay away

Then once I am at the track -- I open my hood to drain my fuel from the fuel rail -- and the strong winds blow my hood up onto the windshield -- bending the back corners of the hood -- I was pissed!

But I put everything together and myself and my friends check the latch a few times to make sure it was closed.

Get the car ready for its first pass -- get a decent launch 1.82 -- and the car feels pretty good -- the 88 mph 1/8th mile speed is the
same I have gotten before on a few 12.3 passes at 112 mph.

After shifting into 4th gear at about 7,700 RPM -- I hear the loudest BOOM!! I have ever heard racing. Now I have been in two cars that have blown engines (Starion & RWD Talon) on fast runs -- and this is MUCH worse.

The BOOM also forces my hood up in front of the windshield -- it crashes into the glass sunroof on the roof and glass showers down on me. I also heard something bouncing and hitting under the car turned out to be transfer case).

The rest seemed to go in slow motion -- as I could not see -- I was just trying to tap the brakes gently to slow the car down. Then once the coolant and oil that was leaking everywhere got on the tires -- the car started to skate to the wall -- I tried to keep the car straight -- but the side of the front bumper hit the wall -- spun the car around -- and then the back bumper hit the wall (the car stil moving).

Inside the car I was hoping the car would not hit the wall so it would not be damaged! I was not thinking about myself at all. The car did hit the wall once on the side of the front bumper -- then spun and hit the side of the rear bumper. (The people in the control tower gave Mike Rizzoti's son the timeslip later on and they said I crossed the quarter mile beams at 13.2 at 80 MPH in reverse!

Once the car came to a stop -- I shook the glass off myself -- and undid my seatbelts -- and got out of the car quick. The car was smoking and I was not sure if it would catch fire or not -- It did not. I got out and saw the car was facing the starting line. I also saw my transfer case about 25 feet down the track. I was not sure what had happened at first -- I thought maybe my hood was not latched good at first -- then I saw the transfer case and thought maybe that had locked up. Then I saw the huge hole through the hood and saw the transmission blown to bits and all the other damage and knew the flywheel had exploded.

After I got out of the car -- the EMS workers took me into the ambulance and tested my blood pressure and pulse and looked into my eyes with lights and asked me questions. I was without a scratch.

I want to thank very much everyone who helped me out that night -- Jimmy Read -- James Lombardo --and everyone else who pushed the car onto Mike's trailer -- and especially Mike Rizzotti who went back to his house and got his trailer and trailered the Galant back to his house.

The turbo ate something -- probably needs a rebuild -- the custom Indycore radiator is trashed -- the transmission bellhousing is trashed -- the head I am sure is trashed (the place where the waterneck bolts on is obliterated! -- and the ears that the transmission screws into on the block are gone!

Good news is -- I am going to fix the Galant -- I already bought a new front bumper cover and grille and sunroof -- and a few people from New England DSM have other spare Galant parts that will help me out. I just need to put together a new block and head. The body was not damaged that much. Just bumper covers and sunroof and hood. The intercooler is nicked -- but I think it is okay. The BR580 turbo ingested something - so I will have that rebuilt. I also need to get a new radiator. I will replace what is damaged and have the car painted over the winter.

It's not like I have another full-time big- ticket race car that takes up all my time and money!

--Bruce Kwartler
13.2 backwards ...

Well Bruce Im glad you're OK. Really sorry to hear about your car. I wish you luck! Hehe 13.2 backwards, now you need to tell all the ricers!

14bCrazy

Our all motor CRX went 11.2 backwards in Tampa last year. It's real good to hear that your OK and that the Galant isn't a total loss. We have wrecked our race car twice now and I feel your pain but when it's all over its just good to be alive. Best of luck to you.

Wow bruce.....glad to hear your ok and this hasn't spooked you! Isn't the slow motion-ness of crashing weird?

quote:Originally posted by DSMotorsport:
Isn't the slow motion-ness of crashing weird? SO weird. I remember a lifted Tacoma going 70mph T-Boning my girlfriends car while I was in the passenger seat. I just saw headlights and my jaw dropped
shocked.gif
slowwwllly.

number3

Last edited:

in my humble opinion, i think hp/torque and the explosions of flywheels are correlated. the more power the car makes, the quicker it is going to rev and create heat/friction to the point it blows up. a stock car will have a harder time exploding. i think ANY modded VR4 should have a scattershield, doubly so if you are running a used or lightened flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned