The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bringing 1746 back to life!

Hey guys! I've been the owner of 1746 for a few years now, but she's been sitting quite a while. The short story goes like this: A close friend bought the car about 2003 or so, and became a parapalegic after a skydiving accident about a year and a half later. The car bounced around our circle of friends for a while, before eventually landing in my yard around 2009 or so. When I got the car it had no front passenger window, was blowing ECU's, all four struts were blown, and rodents had nested in the engine bay. I slowly started cleaning it up, starting by replacing the window to keep the weather out. I then pinpointed a blown ISC (0 resistance between coils) as being the cause of the ECU carnage. I replaced the ECU and ISC, knock sensor, deleted the EVAP system, deleted the EGR, and installed an FIAV bypass, rebuilt the throttle body, replaced all gaskets, o-rings, and crush washers in the engine (except the headgasket, front cover gasket, rear main seal, and oil pan), replaced the water pump, timing belt, b-shaft belt, all assosicate pullies, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I upgraded the HLA's with the 3mm oil port version, installed a set of Web 546/547 cams degreed to the card on Fidanza cam gears, and an MHI small 16g. I replaced the blown struts with some KYB AGX's.

That pretty much brings us up to date. It took me a while to get the title, but finally did so about a month ago, so I really started to dig into it. A couple days ago, I fixed the last of the oil leaks, which was a really nasty one coming from the rear balance shaft inspection port, because the plug was missing.

I took it to the emissions booth, and passed everything but idle HC, which was 204 with a limit of 180, so I added some idle air via the BISS, and mixed 1 gallon of E85 with 4.5 gallons of 90 octane. Took it back for the free re-test and passed with an idle HC count of 143!

So 1746 is finally back on the road, registered, insured, and emissions legal! She is now my daily driver, but I will be doing small repairs and upgrades as I go.

So here's a list of some of the issues, and plans:

She's missing the arm rest (sale pending), the stereo/brackets, the stock air-can, and the heat shield for the EM. I know I don't need the EM, but I live in NM, and keeping down underhood temps is a big deal, LOL! As far as the air can, I will eventually fabricate my own intake and ic piping, but for now, I just want it to be complete.

Other little problems include non functioning cruise control, which is in place, but not hooked up. Non-functioning AC, also in place, but needs to be re-wired so I can test the compressor, and belted. I also havn't seen the 4ws or ABS lights come, despite my best efforts, so I'm not sure if the are functional. Either way, the brakes don't feel great, so I will most likely do the pads and rotors very soon. Drivers side power door lock doesn't work, which is a pretty minor annoyance for now. And I would like to repair the change tray on the dash where the number plate is, because the surface has separated from the form and its all bubbled out(any tips on fixing this? I'm thinking some interior conditioning and a heat gun maybe?). And that's about that!

As far as tuning, as I mentioned, I have a small 16g on it, and some cool street cams from Web Cams, but otherwise, she is all stock, and running spring pressure without the BCS, so probably about 8-10psi, but no boost guage to confirm. Right now the O2 is logging at about .82v in open loop, which would appear to be about 10% oo lean with the extra air from the turbo/cams, causing mucho knock, and the ECU is pulling out all the timing. So I'm going to install a set of JDM Yello top 510cc's, which have about 12% more volume than the stock 450cc's, and then leaning it back out with the MAF.

Future plans are pretty conservative, as I have a pretty nasty '92 Talon TSi AWD that is the toy, so the GVR4 will be a DD that will see some resort time come winter. I'll be fabricating a complete intake tract, which I will most likely base off of a supra side mount and a 2g maf for now, the 510cc's, probably a Walbro 190, a tubular o2 housing, and a full exhaust. Once I get that all rounded out, I'll most likely upgrade to a E316g, and consider a little more fuel and larger IC. I will also most likely install ECMLink and run it on speed density, which is how I have my Talon set up, and really have no desire to ever tune a MAF again, LOL!

Anyways, thanks for reading, I know I'm a wind bag, but after the initial run down, my reply's will get shorter, I sweat!

BTW, this car was basically free, but I bought my buddy a few beers for good will!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts