The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake Rotor Dilema

Muskrat

I'm about to begin a very large brake overhaul (New rotors, front calipers, rebuild rear calipers, ABS delete, and full fluid bleed).

Well, knowing that I'm eventually going to want to buy a set of competition rims and tires for the car, and which will probably end up in a 5-lug swap, I decided to purchase 5-lug rotor's and drill them for my current 4-lug set-up.

I originally ordered Brembo blanks, however the vendor was out and brembo was on backorder. They offered me a set of RotorPros zinc coated and slotted rotor's as an even swap (full set is about the same price as the brembo's). After reading through a few posts on EvoM about these rotor's I decided to accept the swap and try them out.

The rotor's came in yesterday, and they sure do look pretty. Unfortunately the fronts look to be useless to me. They have about 9 different lug holes drilled into them, which I assume is to fit multiple lug patterns, but this leave me no room to drill for my 4-lug set-up. This kind of threw me, because the image on the vendor's website doesn't show this.

So I'm thinking about it, and here's what I've come up with: Without doing any sort of stress analysis I believe that most of the stress experienced by the rotor hat is supported by the pressure of the rotor being pressed between the wheel and the hub, NOT the wheel studs. IF two or more of the studs fit correctly with no modification, I might be able to get away with drilling for the remaining studs. The drilled hole's would most likely have one "open" side. I'd probably go this route if the car was street only, but I plan to use the vehicle as an Auto/Rallycross vehicle next season, and not sure if they'd stand up to that abuse. Opinions?

Here are the other options I've thought of:

1) Return the rotor's and wait for the brembo's. The car is JSB for now anyway, for other projects. No big hurry. Do the brembo blanks have the same deal going on, or should they only have the 5 holes?

2) Keep these rotor's and buy a set of 4 lug rotor's. Less desirable option, as I have to spend more money, and the rotor's will probably only be used for a year or so.

3) Just do the 5-lug swap now. I already have everything for the rear's, I'd just need front hubs, and wheels. Most expensive option, but if I'm going to do it anyway, might as well be now, right? Been looking at the How-to. This mentions 93-94 hubs only. Is there a reason for that, or is that just to retain ABS? Is there any difference model to model (aka, GS, GST, GSX)

4) Return and buy 4-lug rotor's from Rock Auto. The wheel's I think I want can be ordered in a 4-lug set-up (Team Dynamic's RallyPro's). As long as I don't change my mind I'm good.

Looking for opinions, and maybe someone has a different idea I haven't thought of.

prove_it

You could also buy the 4 lug rotors now, and sell them in a year as long as you don't ruin them.

curtis

Man run over to liberty pull a part and get a set of diamante rotors and call it good.

Yes I know where all Junkyards are within 250 mile radius /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Muskrat

Hah. Unfortunately Liberty pull-a-part is an aweful junk yard, especially for import. They have maybe 50 cars you can pull from, and they're so picked over I doubt you'd find what your looking for. That big lot they show on the website is a lie. That's the main yard, but it's full service (and no fun).

curtis

Yea but you also have 2 or 3 more a few exits down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Muskrat

I'm going to see if the vendor will swap for what I originally ordered, which ironically enough should be back in stock by now.

Before I do this I just want to make sure I'm not going to run into the same issue.

Can anyone confirm the 5 lug brembo OEM replacements have only 5 lug holes?

DailyDSM

I would ask the vendor about the holes. If it were me, I'd get the Brembos and do the 5-lug swap if it is something you are planning to do anyway. Since your car is already down, you have time to research and mess with the conversion. I don't know why your car is JSB but, like the rest of us, it will probably be JSB longer than you already expect so you might as well just take care of everything while its down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts