The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Braided AN fuel lines - fuel smell?

tsitalon1

Hey guys,

I've been batteling a gasoline smell issue that's only apparent when the car is parked for awhile. I replaced the fuel feed lne with Russel Braided AN lines about 5 years ago and now I read that this cold be the source of the fuel smell.

If this is the case, what are my options for resolving this? manually refabricate the metal feed line?

Check all the fittings for leaks? Check the line to see if it might have worn a hole?

tsitalon1

NO drips anywhere that I can see, and FP is steady as a rock. Car reeks of fuel if parked in garage overnight. It's so bad I have to leave the Garage door craked a little for fear of something bad... Absoluetely no visible leaks though.

It still might be worth running your fingers across the lines for anything. Do you still have the factory evap canister?

curtis

If you have any flex fittings that could be the problem. The fitting on the exit end of my rail always stunk but never leaked.

gtluke

The braided lines seep fuel after a while. It gets worse with age. Run metal lines instead of braided like the factory does.

Adorsey

I have the fuel smell also. I have -6an from the tank to rail with Russell brand ss line.
I have looked into other ss lines since I noticed the smell, and PTFE coated lines seem to have a better quality inside than others. I found the PTFE coated ss line on silicone intakes . com(one word) It could easily be that some products are made to a better quality, and in the end the lesser quality might smell..?
hope this helps

tsitalon1

Gtluke, I might go the metal tube route. I found this page to help me make the flares:
click

I've never made my own metal fuel lines before though. Are the factory fuel line flares double or single flared? What size tube do they use? Which fittings are necessary to connect to the fuell pump fitting and factory fuel filter? Where the hell to I buy long sections of tubing for this?

Adorsey, thanks for the tip and link, I will look into this further as well.

My entire fuel system is braided ss hose that's somewhere around 8-10 years old and my car doesn't smell like fuel at all. It is also parked in the garage, no fuel smell.

When I first got my car it stank like fuel really bad. One day I was under there doing something and I noticed fuel drip marks down the back of my tank. Upon further inspection after removing the gas tank I found the fuel gauge sending unit (the float device) bolts, all of them, were loose. Every time I'd corner fuel would spill out after I had just filled up. I cut a new gasket, tightened all the bolts and never smelled fuel again.

Do you have an aftermarket (walbro, supra etc) fuel pump? If yes maybe you forget to tighten some bolts when putting everything back together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif It's possible. or maybe you incorrectly assembled the ss hose to the fitting and it's leaking somewhere. They can be tricky to assemble correctly if you are new at doing it. This is why I usually buy the push lock type or I take the other kind to a knowledgable shop to have them assembled after measuring out the lines.

Do you still have the charcoal canister? Maybe take a look at that too.

NickDromez

you checked your evap canister? if you still have it. if you over fill/top off your gas tank the gas overflows to the evap canister.

tsitalon1

So I'm thinking of replacing my SS braided Fuel feed hose with Push-Loc.

Has anyone used Push-Loc from the tank to the lower portion of the OEM filter? My understanding is that it will hold the 75psi just fine, please let me know if you guys view this as dangerous. I could care less about looks as it will be under the car anyway for the most part.

What size ould be best to push over the fuel pump outlet pipe?

Quoting tsitalon1:
Bump...

No one has used Push-Loc or Twist-Loc for fuel lines here?

Most of the lines I have installed are xrp push loc but for oil. For what it's worth, my oil pressure exceeds 75 psi quite often, when it's cold and when I am full throttle.

Some of those lines have printed on them their strength rate. If not, google the brand you bought, maybe they have some info on them.

When assembling them, put some oil all over the barbed part of the fitting. Boil some hot water. Put the fitting in a vice (must have aluminum jaws or you will destroy your fitting. If you don't have aluminum jaws, wrap the fitting really well in a rag and then clamp it). Dip the hose you wish to mate to the fitting in the hot water for five to eight seconds or so and then quickly slide it onto the fitting as hard as you can. It will be a bitch. I even usually use a q tip to put some oil inside the hose.

For the other cutter type fittings I measure out the hose and then take the items to a local speed shop and have them assemble the parts.

If you are still unsure as to whether or not the push loc style is safe for fuel, give some of those companies a call, many have a tech line. Like Russell, xrp, etc.

Just found this link doing a search.

click

Seems it would be best to find out who manufactured the hose you have and if that particular hose is compatible with gasoline.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsitalon1

Quoting zberto:
Most of the lines I have installed are xrp push loc but for oil. For what it's worth, my oil pressure exceeds 75 psi quite often, when it's cold and when I am full throttle.

Some of those lines have printed on them their strength rate. If not, google the brand you bought, maybe they have some info on them.

When assembling them, put some oil all over the barbed part of the fitting. Boil some hot water. Put the fitting in a vice (must have aluminum jaws or you will destroy your fitting. If you don't have aluminum jaws, wrap the fitting really well in a rag and then clamp it). Dip the hose you wish to mate to the fitting in the hot water for five to eight seconds or so and then quickly slide it onto the fitting as hard as you can. It will be a bitch. I even usually use a q tip to put some oil inside the hose.

For the other cutter type fittings I measure out the hose and then take the items to a local speed shop and have them assemble the parts.

If you are still unsure as to whether or not the push loc style is safe for fuel, give some of those companies a call, many have a tech line. Like Russell, xrp, etc.

Just found this link doing a search.

Seems it would be best to find out who manufactured the hose you have and if that particular hose is compatible with gasoline.

Thank you for your help, I actually haven't bought anything yet. I was trying to see if anyone here has any direct experience with these types of hoses for our fuel systems.

tsitalon1

Alright, so this is what I have as far as a plan, please let me know if you see any problems with it. Please keep in mind that I only want to replace the AN braided line from the pump to the stock filter.

Pump adapter = click
Pump adapter to Aeroquip = click
Aeroquip hose = click

Now, what do I need to connect the aeroquip AQP hose to the bottom fitting of the factory filter?

PTLourenco

I just ordered O.E.M. fuel lines from dealer her in Mass. Trouble is most dealers don't want to do the leg work to get them, but they are out there. I ordered brake and fuel lines with new line holders and all, they are coming from the West Coast. Cali to be exact.

tsitalon1

Quoting PTLourenco:
I just ordered O.E.M. fuel lines from dealer her in Mass. Trouble is most dealers don't want to do the leg work to get them, but they are out there. I ordered brake and fuel lines with new line holders and all, they are coming from the West Coast. Cali to be exact.

Yeah, my dealer called the Mitsu PDC and they cannot locate one. Can you assist in anyway? Name of dealer that might have one on shelf?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned