The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bov??

Can I put a turbo smart bov on my car with stock ecu n maf?
Or do I need a recirculated one?

LIV4PSI

In order for the car to run right, it needs to be recirculated. 1G BOVs work great anyways, an upgrade is probably a waste of money. If all you want is to hear the noise and make the car run worse, just pull your stock recirculation hose and cap the intake.

The only proper way to vent a BOV is to convert to speed density, or a GM MAF and translator in blowthrough configuration.

TomN

You can but it should be recirculated.
Venting it to atmosphere is allowing air that has been metered and is expected to go into the engine to escape out into the air instead.

Ok thanx and yes I just want to hear the noise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

James

With a fp intake and hard IC pipes I can hear mine just fine.

mitsuturbo

"good for you" ???

Wow.

You don't really want to get some of us started on the "ricer" aspect of wanting a BOV set up to VTA just for "the sound". I suggest you read the advice given, and take heed. It's not just recirculated in factory config to keep things quiet. If you want to get snarky just because someone told you a viable alternative THAT ACTUALLY WONT MAKE YOUR CAR PERFORM WORSE, so you can get your ricer fix, then i suppose maybe you should just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xself.gif now.

DDM

Lol. Hard pipes and a recirculation kit will be heard just fine. If you vent to atmosphere you will make it not run right. Some cars wont even idle and stall alot. Puff out black smoke. And im sure there are some cases where people got tickets for that. Do yourself a favor and recircculate. Get a gm maf, Speed density, Or just get hardpipes and a recirculated bov.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
"good for you" ???

Wow.

You don't really want to get some of us started on the "ricer" aspect of wanting a BOV set up to VTA just for "the sound". I suggest you read the advice given, and take heed. It's not just recirculated in factory config to keep things quiet. If you want to get snarky just because someone told you a viable alternative THAT ACTUALLY WONT MAKE YOUR CAR PERFORM WORSE, so you can get your ricer fix, then i suppose maybe you should just /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xself.gif now.

Listen mitsuturbo I've probably had more cars with the 4g63 platform then you have fingers. And I love to hear my bov blow to the atmosphere and by my knowledge that's far from being a ricer. And my car is far from being a ricer and all my cars are far from ricer. Cause if that's ricer then you're muffler is also ricer and you're external wastegate is ricer etc...

So one a peaceful and passive note. Does everyone here think that having a bov to the atmosphere is "ricer"?

raptorWagon

It's just funny how everyone refers the bpv as a bov, it's only a bov once you start venting to atmosphere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

transparentdsm

i like the way the BOV sounds vented into the atmosphere. when i had a 1g with no tuning equipment i capped the intake pipe, vented the BOV in the atmosphere and then turned my BISS screw out 3/4 of a turn. it brought my idle up to like 1050-1100 but the car wouldn't stall. yes it does hurt performance, but if your not racing everyone on the road and you really like/want the sound who gives a poop.

ktmrider

Quoting jertech:
So one a peaceful and passive note. Does everyone here think that having a bov to the atmosphere is "ricer"?

IMO if a mod is strictly for asthetic value and can NEGATIVELY affect performance ( like venting to atmosphere ) then yes it = Ricer.

Jason G.

Quoting jertech:

Listen mitsuturbo I've probably had more cars with the 4g63 platform then you have fingers.

Yet, here you are asking one of the most basic questions.

DDM

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting jertech:

IMO if a mod is strictly for asthetic value and can NEGATIVELY affect performance ( like venting to atmosphere ) then yes it = Ricer.

yup!

James

This guy is a dumbass. The next Yeti... Maybe worse

A aftermarket muffler isn't "ricer" it positively effort performance... And external wastegate isn't ricer... It also positively effects performance.

Venting to atmosphere with no way to read is has no positive effects, and proven negative effects... And you're doing it to sound cool. That's ricer.

Barnes

Since Jertech seems to like it when his car makes unnecessary sounds, I wonder if he has one of those muffler whistles so his car will go WOOOO WOOOOOOOOO!

Chicago1

Just because he has had more dsm's then someone fingers doesn't mean he knows sh*t. I been with ALOT of woman I mean ALOT and I'm still stupid when it comes to woman and what they want. Maybe he is the same way with 4G63's?

mitsuturbo

Quoting jertech:
Quoting mitsuturbo:
"good for you" ???

Wow.

Listen mitsuturbo I've probably had more cars with the 4g63 platform then you have fingers. And I love to hear my bov blow to the atmosphere and by my knowledge that's far from being a ricer. And my car is far from being a ricer and all my cars are far from ricer. Cause if that's ricer then you're muffler is also ricer and you're external wastegate is ricer etc...

You're so Cool. Can i be your friend?! OMG You've had more than 8 or 10 4g63 powered cars. Are you like, a god of 4g63 powered vehicles now?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

It's a shame you still apparently don't know sh*t about them.

Don't ask for advice, then get all bitchy when you don't like what's given. Seems you'd be better off on DSMtu... well, actually scratch that. No forum will put up with this sort of sh*t. Change your fuckin' tampon, and either take the advice given with a little bit of humility, recognizing the fact you CLEARLY DON'T KNOW sh*t, and get on with your life. Else, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/gtfo.gif

Also, you really need to get your grammar straight. Suggested reading for you would be "the difference between your and you're". Of course, i don't expect a 4g63 guru of your nature would be taking advice about grammar from those lesser of us who clearly don't know what the f*** we're talking about. So, i doubt you'll look it up or read about it. Come to think of it, you should probably stop reading this forum as well, since nobody can tell you sh*t. You're clearly a know-it-all and just trolling for replies.

JNR

Some people forget to take the proper pill in the morning, lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

OP, if you really like that sound and want to it to run properly then you'll have to switch to a speed density system so that you get rid of the MAF...the only bad thing about SD is you lose the slight compensation the MAF provides to the ECU. In other words, you have to have your tune spot on whatever you're running, where as a MAF can adjust *slightly* to things later on, say you change something. I'm not talking about cams and stuff, but say you were to put on a new exhaust, different intake or some other 'bolt on' that changes the A/F slightly. MAF is better for that sort of thing, but if you're going to be modifying it beyond bolt on's, you need to play with the tune anyway.

As for hearing something, yeah with a larger thin metal intake tube, you will hear it a little more, but it won't be annoying like the 'psssh' 'psssh' sound you sometimes hear ricers intentionally doing around the neighborhood.

RedTwo

Maybe I have super human (selective) hearing but I could hear the stock bpv when the car was completely stock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned