The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BoV suggestions (flutter dump w/ stock BOV) - Resolved w/ Dodge Mod

4thStroke

I'm limited by the 44mm flange with the FP turbine housing. It has the 12psi spring I believe. I've wondered if a different spring would help, that's another thing I have yet to try, but I can't find the logical sense that would tell me it would help.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 4thStroke:
Not all that glitters is gold. Although I was able to dial in and create a perfect boost curve with ECMLink, you could audibly hear the wastegate "chop" from the solenoid opening and closing through the open dump. I've seen this before and the cars pulled good. However, my experience was that the car did not seem to pull clean. I've talked to others who experienced the same. I tried different ways of trying to dampen the change in flow (or the pulse) in the vacuum lines, but I had no luck. I went back to my inline perrin unit. The perrin spikes less and holds better than my hallman, unexpectedly. The MBC doesn't give the curve I want, but the system works better.

The solenoid functions just fine on a stock wastegate actuator, which leads me to believe the issue is with your wastegate, not ECMlink or the solenoid. I'm not sure how you had your system setup, but if you have it setup with the .25 restrictor pill like normal, you probably aren't getting the pressure required to give you proper control of your wastegate. Keep in mind, the stock wastegate doesn't have a spring to work against like your 44mm WG does. Ask anyone here running ECMlink boost control, and they'll probably tell you it performs flawlessly.

Why don't you give us some more details about how you had yours set up? Were you running a restrictor? How and where did you have the lines connected?

Last edited:

Boostdtalon

I have had good success with the Synapse BOV's and DV's. Ran them on my Talon, Evo, and Galant. They make a flange that bolts onto our stock dsm flange. I will also be going with there 50mm on my 3065 as it works in place of a 44mm WG.

Synapse Engineering

EHmotorsports

are you planning on running low boost with the 50mm?

EfiniX

Quoting prove_it:
But now it stalls.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well it was doing exactly the same thing before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4thStroke

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting 4thStroke:
Not all that glitters is gold. Although I was able to dial in and create a perfect boost curve with ECMLink, you could audibly hear the wastegate "chop" from the solenoid opening and closing through the open dump. I've seen this before and the cars pulled good. However, my experience was that the car did not seem to pull clean. I've talked to others who experienced the same. I tried different ways of trying to dampen the change in flow (or the pulse) in the vacuum lines, but I had no luck. I went back to my inline perrin unit. The perrin spikes less and holds better than my hallman, unexpectedly. The MBC doesn't give the curve I want, but the system works better.

The solenoid functions just fine on a stock wastegate actuator, which leads me to believe the issue is with your wastegate, not ECMlink or the solenoid. I'm not sure how you had your system setup, but if you have it setup with the .25 restrictor pill like normal, you probably aren't getting the pressure required to give you proper control of your wastegate. Keep in mind, the stock wastegate doesn't have a spring to work against like your 44mm WG does. Ask anyone here running ECMlink boost control, and they'll probably tell you it performs flawlessly.

Why don't you give us some more details about how you had yours set up? Were you running a restrictor? How and where did you have the lines connected?

I had it set up exactly how ECMLink suggests with the recommended IR 3 port. No restrictor. I've heard this same chop in Hondas before. I've talked a good amount to Lucas and Aaron at English about it too. After they experienced the same thing, they also went back to a MBC. I posted on the ECMLink boards and got no response. Im willing to give it another try at higher boost levels, we'll see how it does, it just pains me having to rip on the car at high power levels for the sake of trying to dial in a method in still leery about. I wonder how many people experience this chop but don't notice it (maybe from recirculating the wastegate) or really aren't aware altogether.

brisvr4

I was experiencing a bad chopping from what I thought was the wastegate for a while. I'm also running ecmlink with the ir solenoid through to a pte 46mm gate.
I tried everything that I could to get rid of it including going back to a mbc.
It seemed to pull fine at wastegate pressure (17psi) but once I got over 30psi or so it would start a rapid chop.
It only went away after I swapped in a brand new 90 amp alternator.
I never did pin it down to any one thing but it pulls perfectly since the swap.

Boostdtalon

Quoting EHmotorsports:
are you planning on running low boost with the 50mm?

Yes at first I will be. Not sure how low as I'm far from that point. I've personally seen these run between 10-15 psi with no issues. Just have to know how to set them up.

EHmotorsports

Reason I ask is I've found it more difficult to hold boost with larger WG's in higher boost applications the smaller gates are less responsive and boost controll seems to be smoother.

EfiniX

Follow-up.

A few weeks in and no flutter + I'm holding boost through quick shifts. A+ mod/would recommend!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tektic

I'm using a dodge garage modded Nov a d have a bit if a kink in the recirculation hose. At part throttle with anything over na vacuum it can start fluttering unless I'm in full boost or accelerating. It makes it very diffacult to keep a constant speed. Fluttering and bucks. Don't know what I can do to resolve this.

EfiniX

wow, back from the dead! Old post.

Well your situation isn't my situation as I've got my BoV vented to atmosphere (SD conversion). I doubt the kink in your hose is an issue if it's behaving at high-boost, but fluttering at medium to low.

Is your BoV crushed? Most DSM stock BoV's that I've seen are. Considering how the Dodge-Mod BoV operates, this could certainly cause some issues. Also, did you confirm that all of your airflow points are clear and flowing properly? I know if your external boost reference port is tapped to far in, it will obstruct the airflow, which could potentially cause the issue you are describing. Finally, where is your external boost pressure line connected to? I've got mine tapped right into the turbo outlet for quick release.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I had the same problem with my HKS and i'm running SD as well. I had too many things hooked up to my vacuum block. I disconnected the bov and hooked up directly to my intake mani and problem solved. No part accel or decel flutter, bucking etc............

tektic

currently it is run directly to the vacuum port on the intake. My waste gate is connected to my turbo with a mbc in between.

The valve is not crushed. I'm fairly certain I performed the mod correctly. I will however take a look at the external port for signs of obstruction.

It does seem to be open during idle thought. I don't really know what that's telling me.

EfiniX

There's your problem. The hose needs to be connected up somewhere between the BoV and the turbo outlet. The closer to the turbo outlet the better. Best option is to do what I did and drill a hole in your turbo outlet, tap it, and install a nipple to hook the hose to.

EfiniX

T'ed right off the new port. I actually used this mod as an excuse to move my wastegate line off the intake manifold.

tektic

So, just so I get this right in my head... The original port on the bov goes to the t connected to the nipple I taped into the compressor cover. And the tapped nipple in the bov stays open to air.

What signal boost or vacuum opens the valve? How does it know the throttle plate is closed if it can't see the pressure in the intake manifold?

EHmotorsports

His BOV is plumed to the port behind the throttle plate. The tapped nipple is vented to atmosphere.

If it is not that way any longer I will be having some questions for him tomorrow when I see the car.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned