The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV Flutter?

SleepinGVR4

What would cause my BOV to flutter at part throttle? It just started doing this. I guess it could be compressor surge idk. I can watch my boost gauge needle bounce around at the same time.

My car has a E316G with supporting mods. I should also mention I use a dodge missed 1st gen bov.

prove_it

If you blocked of the lower port feed to the underside of the diaphragm then the compressor will surge. It's from the valve not being able to open fast enough. I had the same issue when I modded mine. Low throttle compressor surge all the time.

This won't give you an exact answer, but it's what I did with mine.

Modded bov info/

G

Staff member
Are you running speed density? Or recirc the bov?

gvr4ever

Spring inside the BOV could be getting stuck a little. On an adjustable BOV, if it does this, the spring is too tight.

prove_it

The flutter is from the valve not opening fast enough. I'd agree that the valve must be sticking. Try cleaning it up. If it still does it swap it out for another one. Also check your vacuum/boost line and see if it's leaking or kinked.

blacksheep

isn't there something about the bov vaccum line also not being tee'd too many times or too long of a run? I forget these things..

prove_it

Yes. You should NEVER tee into the BOV feed line. Also it's important to run the appropriate sized line. I still use the factory line since it's still in good shape. Too big and response is affected, also too small will have good response, but not enough volume to sufficiently open the valve instantly. Also the length will create the same issues, too long and response is hindered, but there is not too short. Shorter is better. Anything under 2 feet should be ok I think as long as the diameter is right.

James

Pretty much. I mean every tee or every inch of line makes the BOV work that much harder to open. I don't know if you've ever tried to push one open with your fingers but its pretty stiff.

blacksheep

In my modding days, I went thru so many damn BOV's for flutter, surge etc. I will say the HKS BOV re-circulated helped cure most of the issues I had. I believe its a pull-type (opens based on vacuum rather than boost - more boost and more it stays shut, I think). I think the only other one that makes as much sense is the Synchronic which is based on HKS design. The HKS will also make a flutter-like noise since it has a soft spring and a heavy spring or something. I know that the HKS does require a good vaccum source.

Also, I remember someone saying bigger cams cause less vacuum and this effects BOV's or something?

I am not super technical - so, pardon me!

prove_it

Yes, cams will affect vacuum which changes the valves operation. When you shift though the engine will see a deep vacuum as it's revving higher and the plate is shut, so between shifts the valve will act normal. At idle it won't open as far for recirculation.

Try a 1jz with a 72mm turbo you want to talk about compresser surge.And yes bigger cams do effect vacuum

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts