The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bought her back!

Vince

Greetings all,
Just a quick hello from Washington State.
Wife and I bought our '91 VR4 back in '93. Finally sold her to a co-worker in 2009, and after 4 years (of abuse, i might say) I was offered her back rather than being used as a trade in on a truck.

Needless to say, 1212/2000 is home and in loving hands once again!
The list of problems I've been sorting out seem endless (how can someone do so much damage to a car in 4 years? yeash!), but I've been slowly clipping through them each weekend.
Anyhow, will probably return here for some advice on a few sticky problems (like the pulsing idle while warming up), but just thought I say Hi to the crew!

Keep it shiny side up!
Vince

raptorWagon

Welcome back I suppose lol. There is quite a few of us between WA and Oregon on here. WA wise we're spread all over Western WA and a few out on the Eastern side.

Vince

Will do... As soon as I get her off blocks (new water pump going in) and cleaned up. She's not too pretty right now, but my shrink says she is good therapy as I now have a challenge to keep my mind occupied (and pocketbook empty). Currently she is still stock, and will probably stay that way.

Really shocked at how time has flown by since I first bought her, only to find how hard it is to get parts for a 24 year old car...

Have to debate a paint job, knowing the cars lack of value, but the years and door dings have not been kind, and it bothers me to no end.
But for big expenditures, first is to get growl in the trans sorted out. then the leather seats re-dyed, and drivers bolster repaired.
Not sure what life to expect from her (very few Mitsus are known to belong to the 200k club.) but she will be my daily driver.

I did just sell my 88 Starion a few months back; click click

Here is the Galant a few years back. (The Audi was mine at the time as well)
click

Vince

raptorWagon

Plenty of Mitsus have made it past 200k miles, it's just up to the owners to maintain them
if they expect to make it that far in its' life.

Welcome back! Glad to see another project in the works. It's truely a shame how the previous owner treated her, I bet she's happy to be back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Vince:
Will do... As soon as I get her off blocks (new water pump going in)and cleaned up.

I would strongly recommend you replace the timing belt and related tensioner / pulley components.

... never trust folks saying they just did it, JUST DO IT YOURSELF!

... replace any cam / crank / oil pump seals that look dodgy.

... inspect the tensioner arm for divits, clean and relubricate the pivot.

... inspect the harmonic dampner carefully

Now, when you button up that area, you know all is golden.

On your first oil change, replace the oil /antifreeze heat exchanger o-ring, )behind the sammich cooler) and blue loctite the thru bolt.

Quoting Vince:
She's not too pretty right now, but my shrink says she is good therapy as I now have a challenge to keep my mind occupied (and pocketbook empty).

... better than almost any woman!

Quoting Vince:
Currently she is still stock, and will probably stay that way.

That's the way it always starts ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Drive it stock for awhile, and then pick a sensible path.

well thought out and sensible mods go a long way on this platform.

A simple little 16g / fmic / 2gmaf / injector upgrade / chip can be done quite economically and the results will put a smile on your face everyday. Most of the needed parts can be sources used / as take offs from other mitsubishi models, making this path very cost effective.

The results of a sensible mod package on these cars is breathtaking on the roads y'all have up there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Quoting Vince:
Really shocked at how time has flown by since I first bought her, only to find how hard it is to get parts for a 24 year old car...

There's actually many sources for the various bits and pieces!

Many choices for new stuff on the web, but I like JNZ for all the o.e. stuff.
Others may beat their prices (by some small margin), but nobody beats their service.

Used stuff is a whole different deal, and again, you have chosen wisely.
One unique thing about this platform is the members here at the .org
They will always find a cat what he needs to move forward.

Just check the good guy / bad guy section before doing business, and you'll be suprised at what the folks here can put in your hands!

Quoting Vince:
Have to debate a paint job, knowing the cars lack of value, but the years and door dings have not been kind, and it bothers me to no end.

If you're going to be daily driving it, don't sweat that stuff

That comes later, when you're not parking in dubious company

Quoting Vince:
But for big expenditures, first is to get growl in the trans sorted out.

... lots of saavy locals in your neck of the woods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Might want to hit them up, and see if they can help you narrow down your troubles before you spend money with some flat rate mook.

At the least you should put it up on stands and shake down all four corners. Check for play specifically at front lower ball joints / front lower control arm rear bushing, and any all tie rods / sway bar bushings etc. Check the rear as well, noting condition of the four wheels steering components.

The tire wear / condition will tell many tales. Alignment issues are easily seen, and the causes narrowed down by a thorough inspection.

> take your time, post pics / questions

toybreaker

iconoclast
The search feature at the .org can be somewhat ... *vexing* ... but almost any subject has been covered at one point or another.

Just use the " " and + and you'll slowly get the hang of things.

entering +idle +surge -re generates some good reading, as does "idle surge" -re /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One tip that was given to me that helps a bunch is to use -re to eliminate replies in your search screen.

... cuts down on the clutter

Vince

Thanks all, and wow Toybreaker thanks for the detailed post!

Luckily, I'm very mechanically skilled, and have dove head first into the obvious and came out with the rewarding scratches and bleeding knuckles as is the necessary sacrifice to her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Just did the whole nose of the engine,(water pump, tensioner, and all belts.
Replaced the exhaust manifold (cracked in 4 places...wow) and several sheared studs...Replaced all visible hoses including heater core while there.
Pulled and cleaned ISC, throttle body, MAS, and EGR.
Had to cut the wire loom back by the throttle body and rebuild all the connections forward from there due to brittle and broken wires.
Replaced both front control arms and tie-rod ends. Got a full alignment after that.
Pulled both rear calipers apart and cleaned as they were dragging.

Just found out I have no horn... Figures... not the fuse... Everything test good to the firewall, so its is up front next... Could just be dead horns.
Just havin fun figuring out what all has happened to her and pampering her back to health...

Again, thanks all for the tips, I'll be getting busy with the search engine shortly... That Idle annoys me to no end.....

Vince

G

Staff member
The horns do go bad. The drains get clogged and they rust from the inside out. Check the drains, if they have rust on them then it's probably shot.

Vince

yep, Just pulled the passenger side.... Dead...
Thank goodness I'm not chasing a harness issue!

V

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned