The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Both FRONT and REAR steering rack leaking, please advise.

turdb0

I just notice both front boots on the steering rack are torn/mangled, and leaking in the general area. I also noticed leaking on the pass side rear. Driver side rear looked dry.

So with this in mind, should I just go ahead and get a 1g rack and 1g PS reservoir and disable the rear? I did the 4ws delete 14 years ago on my previous gvr4 but keeping the gvr4 front PS rack. I vaguely remember using the 1g reservoir and either clamping the rear lines or looping them. With a 1g rack, is there still a need to clamp or loop the rear lines??? Any other steps I need to take with the rear rack? Can I leave it attached?

Thanks.

citymunky

If you pull the rear steering rack, I assume you going to remove the fluid lines to the back as well.

1) If you keep your stock front steering rack, you will need to cap or loop the lines that head to the back of the car. The Reservoir ports for the 4WS will need to be capped or looped as well.
2) If you use a DSM steering rack and reservoir than nothing needs to be capped and it's a plug and play setup with less weight.

BTW I have DSM rack with DSM reservoir and hose, along with New Inner and Outer tie rods and boots sitting in my garage. I can't use it since my car is RHD.

turdb0

Thanks for the reply... What about the rear steering pump? Is it on the diff? should anything be done with it?

fuel

yes rear steering pump is mounted to the top of the diff casing. Most swap in a 4-bolt 1G DSM diff or even the whole subframe which eliminates the 4WS pump and gives you an LSD if you're lucky. If you wish to retain the GVR-4 3 bolt rear for some reason, you can just remove the pump and put a blanking plate over top.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts