The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bolt on GVR4 front mount intercoolers

4g6Tree

Slim to none considering you have to contact them for a shipping quote to anywhere outside of Australia.

With Mdlimy putting in the work for the community trying to make a kit around $450, spending over a grand + shipping from Australia seems nuts.

marvinmadman

At least someone gets it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Mdlimy

Still plugging away. Intercooler is done. Hot side piping is just about done. Just realized I need flanges for the throttle body, will draw it up and have them water jet cut. Thanks for being patient guys, I have been extremely busy, and only getting more busy everyday!

Robbie

Mdlimy

No you don't need to cut the bumper support in half, just remove enough to fit the intercooler. I couldn't be bothered, so I cut it in half with the chop saw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
This kit will clear fogs, I have no way of telling weather it will clear jdm bumpers, can any one think of an easy way to tell rather than mocking up a jdm bumper?

marvinmadman

I'm interested in a kit for AC with a downfiring turbo. FP Red. I have a custom kit but would be looking to replace it of the price is right.

Mdlimy

Keeping pricing as low as I originally wanted is not going to be possible. With the core costing $204 it means I need to sell the complete intercooler for at least $400 before shipping to make any money.

On top of that, the piping kit is needed. The cost of tubing, bov flanges, custom cut throttle flanges, etc ends up being more than I anticipated and at $300 bucks I'm barely clearing my time.

The last biggest hurdle is the hot side piping. I simply do not have the means or time to mock up piping on different types of turbos. But I can offer an intercooler with two different inlets for both top and bottom firing turbos. I could include a generic peice of piping to get you over to the turbo, but a little work would be required here. I am open to suggestions.

Cold side piping will be direct fit, and will clear fog lights, stock air filter and stock location and size battery. It will include a new throttle body flange similar to the ets kit.

With that being said, who is still interested at those prices? I will only being doing a small run of them, only for people here on the forum, once I have fulfilled those orders I most likely wont be making any more for a while. At least not until I get settled into a new shop.

If you 100% want one please let me know the following

-Top or bottom firing turbo
-which blow off valve?
-does your bov recirc?(if so, what size is the od of the port and how far from the bov center is it)
-Iat port or other weld in threaded bung?
-blow through maf?( i will leave a section out for you to install the maf inline with couplers)

LT1UltraZ

put me down for one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stock BOV (recirculate)
thread bung for meth nozzle.
68HTA turbo
EVO MAS.

galantgti

So, the total amount is going to be around 700-ish? Or is there any other big amount coming on top of that? If we are talking about 700-800 bucks; I'm interested.

If it would be a lot more I would be interested as well; just wouldn't have the cash on hand at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4g6Tree

I'm interested in the intercooler and 16g outlet to intercooler parts. Previous owner welded a battery tray back near the firewall that will probably interfere with your piping on that side.

Mdlimy

I am waiting on parts to be laser cut and formed at the moment, still several weeks out, but definitely making good progress and on the road to getting this done!

Quoting Munky:
I would be interested in just a Intercooler if possible.

Yes, just the intercooler will be available, just choose whether you will be using a top or bottom firing turbo.

Quoting LT1UltraZ:
put me down for one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

stock BOV (recirculate)
thread bung for meth nozzle.
68HTA turbo
EVO MAS.

Send me a PM so we can figure out maf size and location for bov and wm nozzle.

Quoting galantgti:
So, the total amount is going to be around 700-ish? Or is there any other big amount coming on top of that? If we are talking about 700-800 bucks; I'm interested.

If it would be a lot more I would be interested as well; just wouldn't have the cash on hand at the moment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The last prices I mentioned should be pretty close for the core, the pricing may change a bit for the piping depending on a few things, i'm doing my best to keep cost down so I can pass that on to everyone.

Quoting 4g6Tree:
I'm interested in the intercooler and 16g outlet to intercooler parts. Previous owner welded a battery tray back near the firewall that will probably interfere with your piping on that side.

Send me a picture and I can tell you if it will be an issue, the elbow coming off the throttle body will be very similar to the ETS elbow.

383mazda

LOOKS GREAT! Definitely interested in I/C by itself

-For top firing turbo (stock now, upgrade to HTA68 or FP Green later on)

Pipes I'd want would be for stock BOV and Evo Maf (but I'll probably do the pipes myself)

turdb0

Just chiming in with some info:
I built my own IC with a welder friend back in 2000. Wish I had taken more pictures, but back in 2000, I had to borrow a shitty digital camera. Now I need find them!!!
Bought parts from RRE - Used a Griffin side-side flow core (it fits in the same place you put it and it was a little bit taller than yours) and HKS endtanks. I think the core/endtanks are still listed here: click
We welded the tab exactly where you have it, off that hood release latch (I had to trim a little bit of it off). The bottom bracket was bolted somewhere on the bottom of the frame.
The in/out piping was exactly as you have it. I only had a 16G, so just used a 2.5" to 2" reducer for the stock little pipe section to compressor housing. I think you might be able to use a 2G J-pipe, chop it and re-weld it for a slightly better flow.
I had battery relocated to rear and 2G maf/intake so the upper IC pipe was routed under the intake pipe, and took the stock routing to the IC. I was able to retain stock fogs and A/C.

Mdlimy

Invoice literally just came through 5 minutes ago for my parts. I will be picking them up on friday and finishing up the prototype hopefully this weekend and posting pictures.

I will then be accepting payment for orders with an apprx 2-3wk lead time from the time payed. Unfortunately I have already spent a lot on parts for this project and cant afford to invest anymore until I have confirmed orders placed and payed for.

Ive got enough parts for 10 intercoolers, once I'm out I wont be doing anymore. Unfortunately I just cant make enough on these to make it worth my time.

strokin4dr

I'm in for some pics!

383mazda

Count me in for one of those 10 intercoolers please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts