The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bolt on GVR4 front mount intercoolers

GSTwithPSI

I completely agree. You'll probably be hard pressed to find an Ebay core that's not a straight through design. That's pretty common for the lower end cores. As you know though, that's also the difference between many of the name brand cores that use staggered fin packs and such, which makes for a much more efficient core. Hence, one of the reasons for the huge price tag on the ETS cores. I think the list of cores you posted earlier covered a pretty good range of quality vs. price.

The straight through fin designs aren't all bad. They are less efficient, but like you said, they flow better with less pressure drop. Getting the best of both worlds takes a lot of R&D, which again, is why ETS kits cost a fortune. Their cores are made for specific platforms, which each use tailored core designs.

Overall, I think some of the lower end cores would perform well enough for most builds I've seen here. If you pair up a lower end core with good short route piping and well designed end tanks, you'll have a setup that performs nicely for a reasonable price. Finding a balance between price, quality, and performance that pleases the masses is gonna be difficult, though. You got your work cut out for you, that's for sure.

If it were me, I'd concentrate on making a kit that appeals to the most people by incorporating the following:

-Works on both JDM and USDM bumpers
-Short route piping that doesn't require cutting
-Retains A/C
-Can be easily configured for a recirc BOV or SD

...I'd buy the shittiest Ebay core ever if it had a set of Jeverts' end tanks on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Last edited:

desant78

I've used plenty of ebay cores, and they have done the job just fine for most drag racing/street applications.

I'd make the argument that a quality core's performance will only be noticed by someone who road races, so WOT at 20 mins sessions. If the car isn't used in such an aggressive, long time period I don't believe a driver will notice the difference from a $100 dollar core to a $500 dollar core of same dimensions and end tanks.

Road Race Engineering has a good write up making a similar argument, claiming the performance gains from a larger core on the street were mostly due to the fact the core had the ability to absorb more heat in a faster manner, and any aero-cooling effects were not even noticed.

That being said, I am not saying "ebay parts are best!" I'm just saying the difference in performance will be only noticed on a circuit track. Good luck with the kit!

P.S.-- I had the same idea to make a IC kit for the forum, but you did beat me it to it and since I try to live life not as a huge jerk I won't be attempting to make a kit to compete with yours OP. (Unless you decide to 100% give up on this idea, then please let me know!). Since I had a similar idea, I'll share this quick thought.

The stock EVO 8/9 end tanks force your hand with IC pipe routing. If you offering a package, I think it'd be a better product for the forum to either

a) buy evo 8/9 cores and modify them for your kit or b) buy evo 8/9 cores off of ebay, and modify them. Good luck, the community needs this! It's looking well thought out and promising so far!

JoeDaddy0

Hi I'm near you in Eugene OR and need intercooler +piping . Pot said to contact you. I have a JDM intercooler of sorts but piping sucks and I want to use original fog lights. PM me please

JoeDaddy0

They don't manufacture the tubing anymore so they probably just have left over intercooler inventory . I cant believe they are manufacture them per order. If you get enough orders here to take all of ETS inventory for Gvr4 and sell a crap load of piping with them. I'm sure they will give you a hell of a price if you move them onto the board. Their inventory may be so limited you will be making them in no time.

LT1UltraZ

any updates on this?

Mdlimy

I have a 24x8x3.5" vibrant core on the way. Found a nice local Galant owner to let me have has car for mock up of the intercooler kit. I hope to have something sorted out soon.

I will be mocking up with stock turbo and also with a bottom mount holset on an aftermarket t3 manifold. More info when I get the car here in the shop and start working on it.

I also have a sample core that I spec'd out, will be interesting to see the quality and finish of that core, could be a good option for us.

None the less, parts on the way with a car for mock up lined up!

LT1UltraZ

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

LT1UltraZ

checking in for some updates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Mdlimy

The car for mock up is planned to be delivered this coming weekend, should be able to start on it soon after.

If you are ready for an intercooler kit, please pm me and let me know exactly what your current setup is so I can ensure it fits.

The goal is to come up with a setup that I can swap single pieces out of depending on what your specific setup is. But for the time being I will make them somewhat custom to each order to ensure they work perfect and get everyone's input.

pot

Staff member
I called ETS last week to hear it from the horse' proverbial mouth to confirm a few things. One, they no longer offer the piping kit to go w/ their galant vr4 specific core. Two, they disposed of their jig and/or didn't make one. Three, not even a group buy will resurrect their piping kit. Therefore you can 100% count me in. If you rip off their design or improve upon it that'd be for the better.

If you'd like a deposit please let me know. I'm looking for a piping kit to match my EVO III 16g and clear my factory A/C. I would also look to you for an intake tube but I'll hold squat on that until I transition to Speed Density. In the interim I'd like my piping to clear a possible intake fabricated by yourself.

In addition, I would preferably like to use a 2-216 Spearco Core in lieu of any other core/brand. Please let me know if this is a reality. This message may have been better relegated to a Personal Message however I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on this matter with the other gents on here. Please advise

Mdlimy

Quoting Pot:
I called ETS last week to hear it from the horse' proverbial mouth to confirm a few things. One, they no longer offer the piping kit to go w/ their galant vr4 specific core. Two, they disposed of their jig and/or didn't make one. Three, not even a group buy will resurrect their piping kit. Therefore you can 100% count me in. If you rip off their design or improve upon it that'd be for the better.

If you'd like a deposit please let me know. I'm looking for a piping kit to match my EVO III 16g and clear my factory A/C. I would also look to you for an intake tube but I'll hold squat on that until I transition to Speed Density. In the interim I'd like my piping to clear a possible intake fabricated by yourself.

In addition, I would preferably like to use a 2-216 Spearco Core in lieu of any other core/brand. Please let me know if this is a reality. This message may have been better relegated to a Personal Message however I wanted to share my experiences and thoughts on this matter with the other gents on here. Please advise

Good info!

Are you thinking a something similar to Mark's setup on 1051? According to him, his setup allows clearance for both usdm and jdm bumpers, a/c and fogs.

I'm happy to use any core anyone chooses. I would like to try and keep sizes similar so that my end tank designs and piping don't change but I'm OK with small adjustments.

Ben Hayes has kindly agreed to bring me his Galant for mock up. I will be building around a stock usdm front end, with stock size radiator and a/c. I will have several different turbo setups I can build different pipe kits for including bottom mount holsets, stock td05 turbos, and other t3 bottom mount setups. We plan to have the car here towards the end of the week for me to start on this project.

Thank you for all your patience, I know there are several of you that are really chomping at the bit. I am a one man band with many other customer projects going on right now along with working a full time job (hope to make the transition away from that sooner than later and focus on this stuff). I hope to complete the current job by the end of the week and be able to dedicate 100% to this.

Robbie

LT1UltraZ

any updates with pics yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Mdlimy

Got end tank parts today finally! I plan on getting the core all welded up tonight and then I can start pipe routing and figure out how to clear fogs.

Sorry for the slow progress, I have literally been waiting for these laser cut parts for over 2 weeks and before that just struggling to get caught up!

This prototype will be built around a vibrant 24"x8"x3.5" core. I plan to build most of the intercoolers with this core. I am happy to use any other core(of better quality)if the buyer pays the difference and only if the exact same dimensions are available. Still open for discussion on the whole project but lets wait until I have a finished setup with some pictures! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4g6Tree

Awesome man, glad to see you're still at it. Are you only making kits for mitsu style compressor outlets or are you planning anything for downfiring turbos?

Mdlimy

I plan to offer a core that has an inlet orientated for a top and bottom firing turbo, I might be able to make them the same if the piping takes it into account.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts