The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bolt on GVR4 front mount intercoolers

Mdlimy

Been extremely busy and haven't had the time to make any progress. The biggest hurdle will be finding a stock gvr4 for me to build this all around. My personal car would not be a good candidate for this.

galantgti

Should be possible to find someone with an almost stock gvr4 to help you with this ?

I'm really interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4g6Tree

I would definitely buy it for that price, provided it'll fit a JDM bumper. It would be nice to have a bolt in kit made by a guy helping they community. ETS trying to get close to a grand for their kit never say right with me.

jeverts

I have a whole design of my intercooler if you really want I would be happy to give it too you. Granted its made from billet but you can the dimensions of it and go off of that.

Mdlimy

Alright guys, sounds like there are several people interested, I will make an effort to get something going here.

Jverts, I like this idea, it means I wont need to find a car to mock up on. Does your setup fit a 100% stock car? Can you give us some details on it?

383mazda

Add me to the interested list. I've got a bone stock car, but I'm in Texas... Willing to help out though if you need.

Mdlimy

For anyone following this and interested, I just want to check in and let you all know I do still fully intend to pursue this! I have been very busy with my personal car lately and need to get that out of the shop before I can work on this stuff.

I still need to find a Galant to mock this stuff up on but i think when im ready i could probably find one. I intend to do a bit more than just a few of these on the side, infact i plan to kick off my own business very soon, offering several different fabricated parts for this community and others. One of my biggest hurdles right know is finishing designing my company logo so that I have a name on the parts I will be selling.

For anyone interested please do me a favor and send me a PM so I can get an idea of how many people are seriously interested as of now.

Disrupter

I will be looking for FMIC to use with stock frame turbo setup once I get the car running. Wish I was closer, you could have used mine for mock up since it just sits there being sad and stock.

LT1UltraZ

im in for a quality kit. Less cutting the better. Ready to buy ASAP.

Mdlimy

Looking at ordering a couple cores to get a couple of these made for the guys that are real eager. I have decided, no cheap ebay cores, I will be looking for something quality.

Been doing lots of research, and Im not as happy with Treadstone as I thought I was. Mainly looking at garret and precision cores, looking at around $350 for a core, this really drives up the price... Can I get some opinions on this? I want to keep the price affordable but I do not want my name being associated with a crap intercooler. Really looking for a middle ground here where performance and cost even out, but I'm not having much luck.

I value your opinions, I dont want to go through the effort of designing and building a kit that no one is happy to buy.

LT1UltraZ

I would skip the eBay junk. I have no problem paying more for quality stuff. What is the ball park with a quality core for a stock housing turbo ?

Mdlimy

From the information I have gathered, a quality core is going to cost around $400, this makes it pretty much impossible for me to even compete with companies like ETS who use the same quality core but buy them dirt cheap in large quantities. At that price I could barely afford to sell a finished intercooler(not even the piping) for $550, in my opinion that's way too much. I am wanting to keep the entire kit, including all the piping, couplers and hardware around $600-700 with a quality core.

The quality of the core in my opinion comes down to the fin pack design, which determines how efficient the core is. Like I mentioned earlier, I have no issue with the quality of the material or manufacturing of the Chinese cores I have used previously, they just have a terrible straight through fin design which is great for low pressure differential but is terrible for cooling characteristics.

I have some emails out currently trying to source cores with a good fin pack design for a decent price.

Kentstatetsi

going against everything in this thread but I have a 3.5" ETS setup and was wondering if anyone has tried using a vr4 setup on a dsm. I have way too much money into the kit to sell and buy a dsm kit and UPS damaged the outlet on the core. I know the middle hanger mount isn't centered on the core but are the side mounts close?

LT1UltraZ

Could you modifie evo8 intercoolers / piping to make them more of a bolt on ? That would probably be the best bang for the buck for people not wanting to spend 700+ and still be a huge improvement over stock

Mdlimy

Yes, I plan on making piping kits and mounts to make evo 8 intercoolers bolt on, I already have an intercooler. My biggest issue is finding a stock or relatively stock galant locally...

jepherz

Staff member
Are evo8's plentiful enough to find though? I would think wven an ebay bar and plate is a huge improvement over an evo cooler.

Mdlimy

I see them between $50-$100 quite often. I would much rather provide a quality pipe kit that fits an oem intercooler than provide a cheap eBay intercooler that people will give me bad reviews about.

I think I have found a good design core for a decent price. Hopefully I can make some progress on these very soon.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting jepherz:
Are evo8's plentiful enough to find though? I would think wven an ebay bar and plate is a huge improvement over an evo cooler.

^Agreed.

The core specs, core design, fin density, and end tank design are what really matter, not necessarily who makes it. I think most people would be hard pressed to show a measurable difference in performance between a name brand intercooler, and a well designed Ebay core. All the cores are coming form the same f***ing factory in China anyways, so I have a hard time paying the markup when you're not really getting anything more for your money.

I had my setup built around an aftermarket "Ebay" Evo 8 core, and it performs awesome.

marvinmadman

Treadstone is what JPC uses in the Coyote turbo kit. Flows pretty good for up to 1000 hp for my buddy. They had to switch it out because it created too much backpressure with the 3" inlet and outlet above 18 psi I believe. But at that psi he was over 1000 hp.

click

Mdlimy

You are correct, the design of the core is everything and like I mentioned previously, i have had no issues with quality of my ebay core. I have had no luck finding a well designed core on eBay they are all straight through fin design, if you know of one, please share.

I will be testing out some different core designs and endtank designs to see what works best before settling on a final design.

I plan to put together a piping kit that allows fitment of an evo 8 intercooler. If people want to use that kit with a used stock evo 8 intercooler that is fine. If they want to use the kit with an ebay evo 8 intercooler thats fine also. My point here is that I will only be offering the pipeing kit only which leaves the quality of the intercooler up to the end user.

I will also be offering a full bolt intercooler kit that will compete with what ETS has now discontinued. In order to do this I need a well designed core that performs like the ETS core. Like I have said before, I would like to keep the price low, but I have decided I am not going to sacrifice quality or performance. My main concern is offering a product that performs very well, since we no longer have the option of buying such a kit from ETS, and I beleive I can get close to this and save everyone some money. If you are looking to save a few bucks then I will have the piping available to be used with an off the shelf ebay evo intercooler.

Horsepower ratings are generally only taking into account flow. Just because a motor produces 1000hp with a certain intercooler does not necessarily mean it is efficient at cooling. Intercooler's primary function are cooling, and having a straight through fin design that flows well with low back pressure is not going to cool as well as an intercooler with a staggered fin design. There must be a balance between the two.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts