The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blowby issue, now pissing smoke from breather & exhaust

sixcentz

Hi I have a 1990 VR4 that's been blowing oil out of the dipstick though has now begun blowing constant white smoke out of the valve cover breather as soon as the engine is turned over, under acceleration there is huge clouds coming out of the exhaust (did look blue from what I can remember)
The guy I got the car off had the engine fully rebuilt with forged pistons only around 4000kms ago.

Any suggestions on what it could be are very much appreciated though I am guessing it needs another bottom end rebuild
Compression test came out as 180 180 120 180
Cheers

MellowVR4

Seems to me like you have a valve guide issue.

turbofonz

I had a very similar issue. It was a cracked/heavily damaged ringland.

Dale

Quoting sixcentz:
Hi I have a 1990 VR4 that's been blowing oil out of the dipstick though has now begun blowing constant white smoke out of the valve cover breather as soon as the engine is turned over, under acceleration there is huge clouds coming out of the exhaust (did look blue from what I can remember)
The guy I got the car off had the engine fully rebuilt with forged pistons only around 4000kms ago.

Any suggestions on what it could be are very much appreciated though I am guessing it needs another bottom end rebuild
Compression test came out as 180 180 120 180
Cheers

On the cylinder with low compression, did you do the oil test. Add a cap full of oil to cylinder & see if compression rises. If it rises it's usually a sign that the rings are bad. Can others confirm or agree with this.

diambo4life

White smoke is indicative of water/coolant in the oil. I would do a leakdown (cams out) first, especially on that cylinder with 120psi. Anything else right now is guesswork.

sixcentz

Thanks for the responses everyone
Will be getting it stripped down, have found a stock engine from a automatic VR that I'm getting put in for the time being.

Quick question as it's the first time doing a engine swap - I'll be changing the stock engine to manual, can I use the auto ECU?

Cheers

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts