The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blew a rocker

yubh8tn

Hey guys, I'm trying to get my galant on the road again (for the 3rd time) and besides my massive oil burning issue I found some damage in my head. It looks like I absolutely disintegrated a rocker and damaged my cam, retainer, and lifter. I believe the valve is fine but will inspect it when everything is apart.

I have a spare 2G head that is also built. It has titanium retainers as well and good lifters. I was already planning on stealing the cams from that head and figured I could steal that retainer, rocker, and lifter. My question pertains to those pieces. Will a slight difference in the parts be a problem? I already have mismatched rockers in my head so I'm not too worried about that but I believe the lifters in the 2G head aren't the 3g revision that I have and have the smaller oil hole. Will that be an issue? And are retainers universal? Will it even work?

My other question pertains to selling the 2g head. My original plan was to just swap the cams and sell the head for other people's use but stealing those pieces will reduce its value. Should I just sell the head as is and use the money to buy lifters, rockers, and a retainer? Or steal the pieces and sell the head without them?

Forgive me for the general nature of this question, I know this post is all over the place but please bear with me.

Last edited:

Fifteenjr

Could always steal the parts, people are still paying healthy amounts for bare 2g heads.

On the flip side, could swap the 2g head onto your block. Then sell the 1g head as bare. Shocked myself saying that cause I had a 2g head with an Evo 3 intake and it was so very tempting but decided against it to keep my car near stock as possible. But I've ran the 6 bolt/2g head combo and loved it.

yubh8tn

Could always steal the parts, people are still paying healthy amounts for bare 2g heads.

On the flip side, could swap the 2g head onto your block. Then sell the 1g head as bare. Shocked myself saying that cause I had a 2g head with an Evo 3 intake and it was so very tempting but decided against it to keep my car near stock as possible. But I've ran the 6 bolt/2g head combo and loved it.
You are genuinely evil. How dare you suggest I run a 2g head on my 1g? I have scoured the dsmtuners forum and now I am questioning many things. It seems the consensus of reputable people (notably Kiggly himself) that 2g heads are superior due to their higher casting quality and more straight/direct runner path to the valves. The only agreement I could find on the never-ending "1g head vs 2g head" argument is that they're both good if you pair them with parts that work better for them. So now I have questions. Many questions.

This 2G head that I have is complete save bent intake valves. I could get those replaced and do the head swap you suggest with my only complication being head stud boring and intake manifold shenanigans. The 2g head has a custom-made sheet metal intake manifold with a mustang 5.0 throttle body on it and a janky FIAV/idle setup. Upon your recommendation I found that 2g heads have noticeably better low-end torque and spool turbos quicker, therefore winning more races and being easier to drive off-track. How much of that changes with a custom SMIM? Is it worth the headache of sorting its "home-madeness" to have that extra low-end UMPF? Or should I shut my mouth and fix my engine and run it as is?

Also, assuming the builder of this 2g head had an idea of what they were doing, those cams would be better suited for their custom 2g setup than they would for my stock 1g setup. Would just stealing those out of that 2g head with its crazy intake and plopping them into my non-ported (but springed) 1g head and stock 1g IM not function as well as the setup all together in the 2G head? Should I use the 2g head? Another consensus I found is that "you should just use what you have" but currently I have both. You, Fifteenjr, have fractured my reality and forced me to consider options I did not know I had. I do not know if I appreciate this or loathe it. Hopefully someone can help

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

2G head with an evo3 intake manifold is probably the best setup for a sub 550HP street car, and with a cast magnus or JMF billet, probably the best setup under 850. The 2g head is a substantially better design than the 1g, and unless you're trying to make 4 digit power there are NO downsides to upgrading IMO.

The only thing to beware of, if some idiot has port matched the 2g to a 1g manifold and ruined the floors- other than that G2G. Frankly for a street car, I don't think going past cleaning up casting flaws is needed in terms of porting/polishing, unless you really enjoy it. Watch the Jafro videos on the process if you get gung-ho. With the 68HTA, get the 2g head, an evo3 manifold, and a relatively mild cam and IMO awesome street car mojo. I loved having 264/272 in my car, back in the day.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts