The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Blacked out & refurb'd headlights

fuel

I thought I would refurbish the headlights - I did this to a previous 6G Galant of mine and thought it just updated its looks ever so slightly, and have been meaning to do it to the VR-4 as it looks better on black cars. I pulled the headlights out and put them in the oven to separate the glass from the housings then cleaned/polished up the glass, dusted the dirt off the chrome reflectors and painted the surrounds with high temp gloss black paint.

These are results, which you can mainly see on an angle rather than head on -

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3776.jpg

IMG_3775.jpg

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3778.jpg

compared to before -

IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Looks good man, ill be doing the same thing with mine as well as my fog lights.

Jesse

pmp285

its very difficult for the fog lights... the silicone is a differnt type, it doesnt melt... almost broke a clients FL doing so...

fuel

yeah I'm going to leave the fog lamps alone, as the facelift JDM ones are hella expensive to source replacements for. Besides, I think with blacked out surrounds it will look too over the top as opposed to subtle like the headlamps.

curtis

Quoting pmp285:
its very difficult for the fog lights... the silicone is a differnt type, it doesnt melt... almost broke a clients FL doing so...

+Juan JDM FOGLIGHTS SUCK TO TAKE APART. Some I've done fall apart and some require hours of pain and blood to separate.

cheekychimp

Quoting fuel:
yeah I'm going to leave the fog lamps alone, as the facelift JDM ones are hella expensive to source replacements for. Besides, I think with blacked out surrounds it will look too over the top as opposed to subtle like the headlamps.

I tend to disagree but then sometimes I like over the top;

img.php

img.php

img.php

fuel

that doesn't look too bad but I would darken the end covers as well. How did you manage to separate the glass from the lamp assembly?

mistaVR4

I think it has something to do with baking them in an oven at a certain temp, for a certain amount of time..Or maybe thats just for headlights? At any rate I would like to know as well because I have a few sets of JDM projector fogs I'd like to get apart..

Last edited:

cheekychimp

You need to ask Curtis, he does it in the oven. He was responsible for these. I can't see how you can change the colour of the end covers looking at them.

fuel

I would say you would have to spray over them, perhaps with some kind of tint spray? The blacked out fogs look cool but without those end covers matching they look a bit strange.

mistaVR4

I like the way your headlights turned out! Our old buddy GeeRIDE did the same thing I believe, I think they look great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DR1665

Is that a fly-ass Scorpion I spy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

fuel

you would be right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it's a JDM 1982 4th gen Galant GT Turbo coupe. Factory 4G63 (SOHC) Turbo powered, IRS with LSD, four wheel ventilated disc brakes.

IMG_0398.jpg

I have another as well, a 1980 year Eterna GSR which is the upper spec version of the Galant coupe

IMG_2609.jpg

Now has something other than the 4 banger in the engine bay

DSCF1452.jpg

moidsm1

Nice Galants, The closest we can get to those are the scorpions and challengers, I dont think any of them came turbo.

curtis

Quoting fuel:
I would say you would have to spray over them, perhaps with some kind of tint spray? The blacked out fogs look cool but without those end covers matching they look a bit strange.

You could actually strip the backside of them then spray black that way they keep the little fluted shapes.

curtis

Oh and more pictures of the yellow monster above.

fuel

as requested :p

how I picked her up in 2007, only one previous NZ owner (came in from Japan in 1987), 128,000kms (just less than 80,000 miles)

eterna10.jpg

eterna7.jpg

eterna12.jpg

custom built some coilovers using the original strut housings (has macpherson struts on all corners much like the 5G/6G Galant)

DSCF0937.jpg

had 15x6.5 volk mesh rims for a while

DSCF0964.jpg

DSCF0961.jpg

then got some 16x8 0 offset rear and 16x7.5 20 offset front SSR star formula rims

DSCF1308.jpg

at that point I had fitted a FMIC and 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust system, a TC06 turbo (as opposed to factory TC05) and raised the boost a little

DSCF0613.jpg

I was going to do a DOHC head swap using an Evo III head and inlet mani, but decided to do something totally different and fit a 6G72 MIVEC with turbos, picked up two donor engines - a 3000GT/GTO twin turbo engine and a JDM F36A Diamante 30M engine

DSCF1376.jpg

am using the MIVEC engine more or less complete but will be using some parts from the 3000GT engine such as the inlet manifold. In hindsight I probably had no need to purchase a whole 3000GT engine.

DSCF1409.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

used Montero engine mounts to bolt block to original crossmember

DSCF1455.jpg

still needs a little bit more modification for the engine to fit snugly, such as the sump needs to be notched, and fit a smaller length clutch master cylinder (looks like a Toyota AE86 one will do the trick). I also need to purchase a gearbox, will be using a Toyota R154 and with a Montero auto bellhousing will fit the box on using a 1UZ->R154 adapter plate and concentric throw out bearing.

Basically I just need time, money and motivation to get back into the project! I purchased the white Galant GT beginning of last year to have as a run-around hack while the yellow car was off the road, but have decided it's better off selling it and freeing up some funds for the Eterna project.

GSX_TC

Dam that's Gonna be quick with that 6g72 in it

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned