The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

best way to remove rear ball joints?

Vr4junkie

I already tried using a pry bar but no luck as you can see is there another method that you guys use that i dont know about any help appreciated.

EHmotorsports

hammer the side of the hub assm/main control arm. where the ball joint goes in.

EHmotorsports

you might also want to read a repair manual.

LIV4PSI

Quoting EHmotorsports:
hammer the side of the hub assm/main control arm. where the ball joint goes in.

+1. The vibration should knock it loose

Vr4junkie

Thanks guys I used a torch and hammered the crap out of it never had a ball joint give me this much trouble.

teet

did you try the big hammer held on one side...and on the opposite side...smack it HARD with another big hammer. 2-3 pound mini sledge.

I am talking about either side of the cast steel "hole" the ball joint goes through. Pinch the cast steel between the hammers...

basically it is magic...deforms the hole split second long enough and forces the tapered ball joint out.

holding the second hammer on the other side I have found this much more consistent. first time a (old) guy showed me this I sat there with my jaw wide open for like an hour.

John

Vr4junkie

No I didn't get to try that method yet but next ill keep that in mind. It was just that one that was giving me trouble the other side came right off with just lightly tapping the side of the hub.

So for screwing around with this ball joint I ended up bending the end of one of the control arms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif .

blacksheep

This is the one I have and its really awesome. I bought it when I had the Evo and I used it on all the front ball joints/tie rod ends on the gvr4 in the last month...It does not hurt the boot at all. Mine were worn down since they were the stockers, but nonetheless I used it on them as its the easiest tool I have found. I will warn you, it will feel like the balljoint is not popping as you tighten and tighten and tigthen - then, BAAAAAAAAAAAAM, it pops out. Always scary. I cringe as I tighten waiting for it to pop... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

221662d1373081386-2001-taco-tools-diy-replacing-upper-lower-ball-joints-picture073.jpeg

92GVR4num65

Definitely pickle fork it. Its never failed me.

Vr4junkie

Ganna have to add that to my list next time I go buy tools. Now I just got to figure out if I could bend it back to its original shape or just buy a different one ahhh more money down the drain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

nemovr4

Pickle Fork!!

Mine were a bitch as well but Pick Fork wins!!

rgeier11

Add tension with a pry bar. While the tension is on, use a pickle fork/air hammer. Done.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned