The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BEST leather reconditioning techniquwe and materials/compounds

5OF2k

Hello all!

So, recently I've stopepd using #5 as a DD, and now it's become more of a project car. As such, the deep cleaning is about to begin. The carpest will be removed, steam cleaned, interior more than liekly dyna matted and so-on, and I was planning on restoring my seats as well.

The seats themselves are in very, very good condition. No rips, no tears, no seam separations, nothing. The only thing they have is the typical wear wrinkles, and being a bit hard to the touch(not quite brittle, but could definitely be softer) simply from being used for the past 23 years or so(June '90 prod date).

So, I call upon the vast knowledgeable peoples of the .org and ask:

what techniques do you use to "recondition" your leather seats?

what chemicals/compounds/materials/etc do you use?

what (if any) softeners and/or conditioners work the best for our leathers?

Thanks in advance!

-Jake

transparentdsm

get leather reconditioning oil. like the really good stuff. cover all the leather put it in some plastic bags for a day or two to let the oil absorb into the leather as much as possible and it should bring them back to life. someone on here has done it already. i remember seeing it and then going out and getting turtle wax or mcguire rub on leather conditioning and using the whole bottle on the two fronts and rear, let them sit for 2 days, each day just rubbing the leather down, not adding anything else and they came out looking great. i think using the good stuff is more of a permanent thing as i have evo seats now and i dont know how long my conditioning would really last.

MellowVR4

I use this stuff and i love it, i usually let it sit for about 30 mins to an hour. find it at napa

5OF2k

Excellent, thanks!

I'll be going to Napa after work!

-Jake

MellowVR4

yeah man, part # should be 133 for the 16oz, and 491 for the 8oz

BpuVR4

when i used to do trim work, Lexol was our leather conditioner of choice...but that was awhile ago...possibly better products out now, but for that time Lexol did the deed.

fuel

Quoting blacksheep:
google leatherique or search here for it...

This!

Diego

Harley-Davidson makes a good leather cleaner. I use it all the time at work.

quato

Anybody have experience with Chelsea Leather Food on car seats? I used to use that on my Kangaroo leather soccer cleats and it was amazing. I think I still have some left. I'll give it a shot and see how it turns out.

jogalant

Quoting fuel:
Quoting blacksheep:
google leatherique or search here for it...

This!

^ What they said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Check out detailersdomain.com

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned