The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best Donor DSM?

Circuit

Hey guys, I am super new here and just recently acquired a GVR4 from my grandfather. The car has been in the family for the last 11 years and is 100% stock, it also have 0 compression in cylinder 4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I am going to be doing a full rebuild of the motor (Frankenstein) and trans (Jacks) as well as bring the rest of the car up to par (hopefully close to turbowop's build mmmmmmm). She is currently jackstand balling waiting for me to move her into a rented shop space.

I intend on doing the entire 5-lug conversion, 4-bolt lsd, and AWS removal. Instead of buying all the parts separately, I figured I could pick up a 1G TEL (or 2g?) and just pull all the parts and sell the shell.

So my first question is, what is the best donor DSM (year/model) to pick up for all these parts?

I will get pics and badge # of her up soon.

ktmrider

Welcome ( kinda since you registered 3/2009 )! BTW my company's HQ is in Belmont, east side of 101 south of Ralston/Marine World Pkwy.

To answer your q, most 92.5 to 94 1g TEL AWD cars should have the required parts. Look for B1H on the rear diff cover then drop the ENTIRE rear subframe/axle assy whole and install into your G unit. You want to keep ABS? It's easier on the 92 models if so. Way more in the How-To section using search.

GL, have fun, try to hook up with Conrad for a wealth of knowledge on these great machines.

Definitely look for a 92. Most of them (all except the very latest ones built) have a six bolt motor, they should all have 4 bolt rears, and it should also have a double synchro'd second gear. The only thing wrong with that year is that it still has the small one piston front caliper and small front rotor.

Welcome to the org. I would seriously consider keeping this gvr4 mostly stock if it's been in your family, has been grandpa drivin, and is mostly stock now. It will make it that much more rare if it's in it's original state in good shape. Alot are hacked and butchered to the point there not worth saving. I'd stock rebuild replacing everything on the way up and upgrade your IC and piping, slap a boost controller on, and drive it IMO. Any way, post pics when you can and register your vin# and badge with the iceman. Good luck on all.

Circuit

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I registered for the site last year to do some research while my dad was driving the car, but now that it is mine, I decided to start posting.

I am not new to forums and am an active member on a bunch of Mazda forums for my Protege. I love car audio so I am definitely going to be contributing to anything Sound Quality related.

I do not plan on keeping the ABS, as all the how-to threads I have read do not give me 100% confidence that it is going to work with the 5-lug swap.

Motor in the donor car does not matter since I will be sending the one in the GVR4 (190k original miles) out to DSMgraveyard for their full frankenstein long block. Looking for ~350whp.

Dbossman - Sorry the car is definitely not staying stock. I have put tons of work into my Protege and intend to do the same with the Galant, except the Galant will be much faster lol. I plan on doing AMG bumpers and hood and some nice 17x8-8.5 wheels and BC Racing coilovers. The car has a bunch of dings and the paint is fading/oxidizing on the hood and roof, so she will be getting a full repaint after I get the bumpers.

First is to get her running with the new motor, rebuilt trans, coilovers, and wheels.

The car will be driven regularly, tracked occasionally, and entered into shows once it is all nice and clean.

speedyvr4

don't forget the smog nazis are gonna be after you so at least keep it stock looking under the hood. Im originaly from the bay so I know how it is. the good news is you have AWD so only the sniffer test applies. I love seeing the smog techs face when you tell them your AWD. The best donor car would be a 6 bolt 4 bolt 1gb, but good luck with that. At least you'll have an extra block just in case. I guess any 1gb awd dsm will do though, since your throwing the frankie motor in. anyhow good luck with your build and lets see some pics up!pics of the mazdaspeed protege wont hurt either, I always liked those little suckers.

Brunoboy

Im near sfo, 5 minutes away aha, nice to see another member from around here.
-shane

SouthCaliVR4

Not to rain on your parade but... How do you plan on getting AMG bumpers?

Otherwise welcome to the board, it would be wise to keep mods reversible & hold on to the stock parts. it is after all a limited production car growing in rarity & the day will come where stock will actually make it worth more. well the day may come...

Circuit

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advice so far!

Quoting speedyvr4:
don't forget the smog nazis are gonna be after you so at least keep it stock looking under the hood. Im originaly from the bay so I know how it is. the good news is you have AWD so only the sniffer test applies. I love seeing the smog techs face when you tell them your AWD. The best donor car would be a 6 bolt 4 bolt 1gb, but good luck with that. At least you'll have an extra block just in case. I guess any 1gb awd dsm will do though, since your throwing the frankie motor in. anyhow good luck with your build and lets see some pics up!pics of the mazdaspeed protege wont hurt either, I always liked those little suckers.

Yeah I will most likely find a "friendly" smog shop, but I still need to watch out for state ref tickets, so I will be going with a high flow cat.

I don't have an MSP, just a Protege5 that is low, and slow, with a SQ based audio system. That is why I needed something with boost lol

Here is 1 pic so as to not clutter up the thread too much:

28156_379663357729_776862729_3806676_4920334_n.jpg

Quoting brunoboy:
Im near sfo, 5 minutes away aha, nice to see another member from around here.
-shane

Sweet! Are there any local GVR4 or DSM meets that go on regularly?

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:

Not to rain on your parade but... How do you plan on getting AMG bumpers?

Otherwise welcome to the board, it would be wise to keep mods reversible & hold on to the stock parts. it is after all a limited production car growing in rarity & the day will come where stock will actually make it worth more. well the day may come...

Not 100% sure. I see them on ebay and other random dsm parts sites. I am not going to really look into big exterior stuff until the rest of the car is done.

Brunoboy

mmm there are dsm meets, are you on tuners? and There is plenty of us vr4 owners around my area, Tre3zy is 10 min from me, Mariovr4 is same distance, Conrad and junius isnt to far away, Nico in San Jose, Idk if John suzuki is still on here, but he has a green one rolling around, but yea to name a few, we are all driving distances lol.
-Shane

Circuit

Yeah I am on tuners. Well I need to get her up and running first, so hopefully that happens sooner than later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

The best doner car for you since you are already just haveing your 6 bolt in the vr4 rebuilt is a late 92 to 94. This way you will have the dual piston calipers along with your 4 bolt rear and whatever else you need.

That car *should* have a 4-bolt. Go look for yourself and get the vin and ask the cops to run it. If it comes back clean, snatch it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts