The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

belt timing on an engine with BSE

This is more out of curiosity than anything, and I'd time it anyway, but if you're working on a engine with the balance shafts removed, would it be necessary to line up the oil pump drive sprocket? My thinking is no, and the only reason to time it in the first place is so that the balance shaft is timed. Can anyone confirm if my thinking is correct? Thanks.

fuel

You are right in assuming there is no need to time it up. I timed mine up simply for the sake of it anyhow with my balance shafts removed.

Terry Posten

I agree with Fuel.

But why not make everything line up.

It would definitely provide a peace of mind. Especially with these engines. Not a good idea to cut any corners when it comes to timing.

boostedinaz

I'll third this.

It doesn't need to be lined up but I line it up because I'm anal.

BluFalcon

This.

Besides, I like to see everything line up like it's supposed to in the manual if I ever have to check the timing marks later on down the road.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Same here. doesn't need to be, but I do it while installing and tensioning the belt to make sure everything stays where it is supposed to be.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts