The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BC Coilovers

trexn8

^bummer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

FYI:
These are no longer stocked & now have a permanent 2-3 weeks leadtime according to BC Racing. If volume picks up then this will change.

1qkfwd

Lame, so basicaly it's build to order.

Not lame, look at it from a business standpoint. Stock something that sells once every quater or stock something that sells once every week? The gvr4 is a dying breed & we must appreciate the fact that BC Racing is the only one in that price point that still make a system 'specific' to the gvr4.

fastfalcon94

The drop looks really nice. I was debating between BC and ISC between my swapped suby. I went with ISC because they were made and repaired right in Mass. I got them from AJW performance. I heard BC coilovers can take upwards of 3-4 weeks to get a replacement and they sell out. Aside from that, I've heard nothing but good things with BC, it's a quality product. I don't think ISC makes coilovers for the galant yet, but AJ has posted on some of the Suby forums that they are open to new opportunities.

1qkfwd

I totally understand the business stand point. I don't like waiting for any of my parts. That's what's lame. I'll acually be ordering a set from you sometime this week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've requested the shock dyno info which I should have before the end of this week. Warranty is good for one year from the initial purchase regardless of spring rate.

dmj

These coilovers continues to impress me . There is heavy road construction due to road widening in my town and the BC's handle the rough roads with composure I can honestly say the ride is a little softer than driving an EVO 8/9 Thanks again to Garfield for recommending the BC's. No regrets here.

dmj

The ride has gotten a little softer with use. These coilovers seem more suited for street use than most.they are not harsh riding at all.

Boostdtalon

Would you feel comfortable taking them on a track. The only reason I ask is that I do autox and I want to take my car to a road course.

dmj

I would have no problem taking them on the track. I would adjust the settings on the firmer side though.That said If I intended track duty I would have probably purchased a higher end coilover. eg Hotbits or DMS.

belize1334

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting Luke:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting dmj:</font><hr />
Spring rates KG/mm 180 front 220 rear. based on manufacturer claims.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

Those numbers are the spring length, not the spring rate...
The spring rates are 10kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear.

Here's the info I got from google about this coilover:
•Spring Rates Front - 180L-10K
•Spring Rates Rear - 220L-8K

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

default for E39A chassis is 8kg, 6kg. That works out to just about 440lb/in and 330lb/in which is comparable to what Tein sold for our car when they had the HA coilover.

Boostdtalon

Quoting dmj:
I would have no problem taking them on the track. I would adjust the settings on the firmer side though.That said If I intended track duty I would have probably purchased a higher end coilover. eg Hotbits or DMS.

This car will be street 95% of the time. If I were to track more than that I'd definitely consider some hot bits.

GSX_TC

What does the bc stand for? I'm really liking these, might get me a set sooner than later.

Last edited:

belize1334

I just installed my BC coilovers this weekend. Here are my impressions from the installation, as quoted from an email I sent to the distributor...
Quote:

I think it's worth noting that there is a subtlety to the rear
shocks which is not covered in the brief user manual.

The rear attachment on the E39A chassis is tapered near the base and
thus demands a tapered metal bushing for a proper fit. BC instead
supplies a slightly shorter non-tapered bushing and a spacing ring. The
spacing ring goes on first and fits over the larger tapered base of the
attachement. Then the non-tapered lower mount goes on next. The spacer
ring ensures that the non-tapered bushing is not forced onto the larger
diameter tapered base. Without it one could potentially force the
bushing too far onto the mount which would make it hard to remove at a
later time and could potentially damage one piece or the other.

It is also worth noting that the rear brake-line bracket is too narrow
to fit around the much-thicker-than-stock rear shock. In order to make
it work with the included mounting tab the bracket must be bent a bit.
This could be avoided by redesigning the mounting tab...

Otherwise installation went smoothly and I am so far impressed with the
quality of the kit...

GSX_TC

Does it ride smooth or is it kinda bouncy? And how many inches can u lower it with those?

belize1334

Out of the box it's a 2" drop. You could probably go as low as 3" but that's really not what this package is for. It's meant to make the car handle well... not sit hella-flush. It's not bouncy considering what it is but don't be fooled... it's a firm ride.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts