The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ball Joint

TWEAKD4

Quote:
I'm doing my ball joints right now, and there don't appear to be any C-Clips on them. The new ones DO have them, however. The instructions with the new ones also point out that not all designs will use c-clips.

If it is original it does have clips. I started pressing mine out because I didn't see them but they were under the boot. After I ripped the boot apart they are visible.

Boostin21

heating that cup they go into is a good way to get them out, then with the new ones, put them in the freezer and heat the cups again, they slid, yes slid right in on my buddies 1992 laser!

Rausch

the old trick was ball joints in the freezer, and torches on the arm... it's gotta get pretty hot to really expand. any luck with the press?? worked pretty good for me.

mooserage

Staff member
the press worked just fine for me, it's a pretty sweet little tool. kinda sad I won't need it again for a long time...i hope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

CP

Got a picture of the tool? Want to rent it out for a few weeks this winter? I found some bad ball joints after poking around this weekend that are going to have to wait a few months before replacement.

Rausch

here's the one i have been using for the last few years (personally, and as a tech) it works just fine, never any issues.... harbor freight

That is the same tool I picked up, from Harbor Freight actually. VERY handy, especially as I just swapped out all four of my ball joints, front and rear. I had to swap one out, so I figured I would do all four.

CP

How does it work? How does it clamp/leverage on the bolt side of the ball joint?

004tsi

its basically a C clamp with a cup to sit around the outside of the joint to press it in and out Slight over simplification... but hopefully ya get the idea

That tool from Harbor Freight is a live saver and also a " pickle fork " will teach the stuck ball joints a lesson. Just make sure to take care with the boots, unless your planning to replace them as well.

+1 on the Harbor Freight tool.I have had mine for several years and it is has held up very well.It is also great for doing u-joints as well.

CP

I just bought the Harbour Freight tool. I've got a rear boot that's a shamble. Do I need to find a pickle sniffer too before beginning this project?

FWIW, JNZ has a super secret P/N for JUST the ball joints, which ARE available from Mitsu. I've got 4 on the way. One of my rears is bad, so I figured I might as well do all of them. I plan to use the freezer technique.

Question: can I replace all the ball joints without having to remove the lower control arms from the car? Or do the spindles/hubs prevent the ball joint from coming out if the control arms aren't removed? I want to disassemble as little as possible, and get this done in a day or two once the other car shows up for transportation in a few weeks.

Also, MachV Motorsports has just ball joints too. They aren't OEM Mitsu but they do work. Let us know how the Harbor Freight tool works, I'll probably swing by an pick one up this weekend too.

-Josh

Lucky13

You can do the rears without taking anything out of the car. It's not bad. I had to use a fork to get my backs apart from the trailing arm. I also have the tool from Harbor Freight, nice hefty piece for the 30 or so bucks they want for it.

CP

Can someone post a link to one of these "forks?" I want to know what I'm looking for when I head in to my local NAPA to ask if I can borrow theirs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rausch

ball joint/tie rod end seperator or 'pickle fork'. back to harbor freight i will tell you that the individual ones they sell are crap. i broke both of mine on the first or second use. bought one of the combo guys like in the link, and it's been good thus far...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned