The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Balance shafts eliminatator kit, stub shaft question

GTX

Hey engine gurus,

I have noticed that some of the kits have an oil groove on the stub shaft and some are not. Mine has none.
I see that there are two oil feed holes in the aluminum cover where the shaft goes. I wonder if that groove is a must.
I might be cutting the oil supply if I put one without the groove, would I?

Thanks
Alex

Struc

I would tend to agree. I had a RRE unit that didn't have the oil groove that ate the oil pump eventually.

The factory stub shaft you can buy for really cheap has the groove.

GSTwithPSI

The oil groove is there so you can distinguish between a garbage ass knockoff stub shaft and an original OEM piece. The original OEM piece being prefered of the two of course.

GTX

Got it! Thanks guys!

PS: I wonder what all those people do, who installed the one without groove. There must be some damage done to other parts, as the oil supply line is terminated.

r4pt0x

MD098626 is the OEM stub shaft, also used in the 1600 DOHC (Colt/Lancer C53/C63 GTI) engines. Never had any problems with these shafts...

GTX

I'm just wondering, making that groove is very simple. This is a non rotating part. All you need to do is to make sure the dept and width of the groove is the same as on original balance shaft.

Struc

This is NOT a non-rotating part. It's screwed to the oil pump gear and supports it

Coltsfan

The people without the groove break their oil pump housing and crack the pump sprocket. I've seen dozens of threads on the subject with detailed pictures.

tektic

This seems stupid but I found my oil pump assembled incorrectly when I took it apart. Make sure the dots are both visible when you put the gears in. The gear is not reversible. It changes offset of something. IIRC it's to offset spacing of the oil groove on the stub shaft. I used locktight on this bolt and the belt gear bolt.

It's funny because when I took the oil pump off my Subaru one of the gears was in backward in there too.

WaRrIoRs16

Check this video out, it's really informative about the front case. 15:20 to 17:45 has some great info on the stub shaft and the oil groove.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts