The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

balance shaft bearings

yeti

I removed the bearings for the front balance shaft but cant get the rear one (front shaft rear bearing) to line up with its hole on the way back in, i have it jn the freezer now, any ideas?
Also can remove the rear shafts bearing completely and use it for the front rear bearing, if i break the other one
And im doing the bsek is the reason im dong this

Jason G.

Just making sure I read that correctly, you're doing a balance shaft elimination and trying to line up the hole on the bearing?

Did you read the vfaq?

dsm10o0

block the 2 front oil ports or else you wont have any oil pressure and say goodbye to that motor. You dont have to remove the rear bearing and you can just leave it as it is.

yeti

No i meant i couldent get the bearing to line up with its housing i know i had to block oil ports i did.

My bearing was mangled so i popped the rear shafts holeless bearing out and used it where the front shafts rear bearing goes, it popped right in.
No problem when theres.no bearing in the rear shafts side right because it gets fed by he shaft it self not a oil hole.->correct?

Last edited:

DR1665

In the interest of simplicity...

REAR: remove the shaft, done.
FRONT: remove the shaft, rotate old bearings (or install new/blanks), block oil passages in block, done.

The front bearing inside the block is a real pain in the ass. If I remember right, I managed to get it pretty close to started, then used the front shaft to guide it in. About halfway, it started to bind up on me, so I used a hammer to "gently coerce" it. Bearing is in there now. Forever. That shaft doesn't turn, either. Done and done.

Probably helps if you can rotate the engine on a stand to better see what you're doing. I had a head full of assembly lube and dripping wet lifters without a valve cover, so I had to do it from the bottom.

mitsuturbo

Yes. If you flip the front balance shaft around, it works great as a cam bearing tool for the aft mounted bearing on the front shaft. IIRC i use it to push the bearing out of there as well. It's just the right size to barely go thru that bearing hole.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts