The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

balance shaft and front case removal w engine in car?

paul j

Can the balance shafts be removed with the engine and crank still in the car? I am not wanting to remove them for good, just check the oil passages (if there are any) for them. After finding my pistons' oil return holes plugged I am wondering how the condition of the front case might be. Any oil passages there that might get plugged like the ones in the pistons? How often do the oil gears need to be checked or replaced? Can they be checked with engine in place? Is this a good time to remove the front case? What all should I check now that I have the front apart for a tbelt replace? I have new wpump, belt tensioner, and 3 pulleys to go on.

BogusSVO

A "in car" BSE is a tad different than when the engine is out on the stand.

The front shaft is a PITA to get out when it is in the bay. (This is true in the DSM world, For the GR4 it could be a different story)

Most who do the in car BSE leave the front BS alone, gear and spacer in place, just no small belt installed.

The front shaft is just there for the ride, and acts as a loose cork so the front BS bearings are not flipped to block the oil ports that feed them. This method usually dose not have the high oil pressure issues fond with the flipped bearing method.

All that is needed is the cut down shaft or stubby shaft.

It would not be a bad idea to pull the front case and crack the pump open and inspect.

There is a small oil feed hole in the back casting of the pump gears that feeds the oil thu the rear balance shaft and bearing. If this hole gets clogged, it can cause a failure of the rear BS bearing and cause a knock.

With the oil pan dropped, pulling the front case is simple. the big thing to remember is remove the bolt, gear, and spacer for the front BS, it will stay in the block.

transparentdsm

i found that if you loosen the transmission bolt and drop the front cross member the motor slides down enough that you can get it out, it just takes a little work to make it happen.

paul j

Awesome guys. Thanks. I may get this project finished before xmas and get it on the road.

Dark_Horse

If you're going to pull the balance shafts, it's much, much easier to pull the engine. I did the entire BSEK install with the engine in the car and it was a major PITA! With all the stuff I removed, I could have spent another hour and just pulled the engine. It would have saved me a lot of time in the end.

It's doable, but there's not much room to work, and I had an extremely hard time removing the, IIRC, front balance shaft. I got it out, but it involved a lot of swearing, tool throwing, multiple jacks and blood.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned