The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad rebuild on my tranny?

Hondasi88

Before i start with I got ripped off, i'll list whats been done

the following parts were changed " Everything changed or rebuilt was needed"

Transfer case
Drive shaft rebuilt
Master and Slave cylinders
Shifter Cables
All the bushings
OEM release bearing
New Fork
Rebuilt Transmission
ACT 2500 with zero miles

With that all said, i cannot make make gears. Bleed everything! Checked and double checked everything......now im guessing its internally in the trans?

gtluke

Need more info.
What oil are you using in it?

Make SURE you have BOTH dowels between the engine and trans. You can check and put them in without doing much work, just loosen the 4 trans bolts and pry it back a cm and make SURE BOTH are in there, at 3oclock and 9oclock

Hondasi88

when the car is on, its hard to go into gear. I am thinking its a clutch issue but that has been inspected over several times.

The release bearing was replaced, clutch fork, all the shifter cables and bushings. I am looking for a stock pressure plate to see if the ACT one in there is bad.

donniekak

With the engine off, put the car in 1st gear. Push the clutch and start the car. If the car moves at all when the engine is reved, the clutch is dragging. So many fresh transmissions are ruined by a dragging clutch.

ercp98

this will sound dumb.
but check that all the bolts were put back to secure the trans back with the engine.
i had the same issue, and AAMCO did not put all trans bolt back. so everytime i push the clutch in the
trans flex enough that it would not let me get in gear, specially first gear.
if this is not the case, i would suggest bleeding and adjusting the clutch pedal the way jack's transmission does. this really
makes a big difference for our cars.

just suggesting from my own experience.

hope this helps.

Hondasi88

Naw, no suggestion or comment will be considered dumb! Will try again tomorrow
thanks for all the suggestions!

pauleyman

You mentioned nothing about the pedal assembly. You do know these are known for failure?

gramkrakr89

Yes... sooo many possibilities for clutch system malfunction here. Your described symptoms just scream "hey... the clutch is dragging"

Hope you descover the issue soon!

Galantvr4559

By any chance did u shim the fulcrum ball inside the bell housing? And a good way to check for pedal play is when u are bleeding the clutch. After u hold pedal to floor to bleed and the pedal stays on the floor reech up where ur master attaches to pedal and try to move it. If u have more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch of play then more than likely u found ur problem.

chach161

I have had the pedal assembly failure in my car a long time ago and it sounds like that. Also as Galantvr4559 said you really need to shim the fulcrum ball inside the bell housing if you haven't already. I have two small washers installed. Also I have the braided line from master cylinder to slave. The step height of the flywheel could also be a problem but in my experience it has never really been the issue.
I really don't recommend ACT clutches because they seem to need the longest throw to disengage. Other pressure plates might get by with one item not 100% but with ACT's it seems like each of these items have to be 100%.
I have an ACT 2600 but would go with a Centerforce or South Bend if I had to do it over again.

Hondasi88

"fulcrum ball inside the bell housing"

my mechanic is saying this is the issue.....but now i need another transfer case.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts