The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad cam angle sensor?

Lately my car has been randomly stalling out on me out of nowhere, or sometimes it just won't start up at all. At first when it was start to act up it would make loud clicking noises inside the ECU and also from something near the throttle body/ISC/FIAV and it would make my RPM's flutter up & down for a second or two before finally stalling out completely. So to eliminate the problem I went ahead and got the block off FIAV & ISC, but it didn't fix my problem. I checked my ECU for corrosion and it there was a fair amount on the circuit board. I ordered a new ECU form ECMTuning swapped them out and still got nothing. So now the only thing I can think of is a bad CAS, or loose wire (but I think it's a bad part not an electrical issue) could a bad CAS cause this problem? My car will be fine for 2 weeks at a time then all of a sudden while I'm driving it BAM! It just cuts the engine off, no fluttering of the RPM's anymore it just dies. Then sometimes it will start right back up and sometimes I gotta wait an hour or two then it will fire up. When it's not starting it has no spark to the plugs but it has it to the coil pack, just not from the coil pack... So that leads me to believe I have a bad ISC since I swapped out the coil pack with a known good one. Also I noticed when its acting up if I turn the key my tach needle will do nothing, but when it's running normal if I turn my key the needle will bounce up and down from 0-200 RPM's, that's how I know if my engine is going to actually start up. I need to resolve this this issue since this is my DD. any body have a similar issue?

alansupra94

Well if you need one to test with, I can send you one for free. Lord knows I have too many of them.

5OF2k

Quoting GotTurbo:
Lately my car has been randomly stalling out on me out of nowhere, or sometimes it just won't start up at all. At first when it was start to act up it would make loud clicking noises inside the ECU and also from something near the throttle body/ISC/FIAV and it would make my RPM's flutter up & down for a second or two before finally stalling out completely. So to eliminate the problem I went ahead and got the block off FIAV & ISC, but it didn't fix my problem. I checked my ECU for corrosion and it there was a fair amount on the circuit board. I ordered a new ECU form ECMTuning swapped them out and still got nothing. So now the only thing I can think of is a bad CAS, or loose wire (but I think it's a bad part not an electrical issue) could a bad CAS cause this problem? My car will be fine for 2 weeks at a time then all of a sudden while I'm driving it BAM! It just cuts the engine off, no fluttering of the RPM's anymore it just dies. Then sometimes it will start right back up and sometimes I gotta wait an hour or two then it will fire up. When it's not starting it has no spark to the plugs but it has it to the coil pack, just not from the coil pack... So that leads me to believe I have a bad ISC since I swapped out the coil pack with a known good one. Also I noticed when its acting up if I turn the key my tach needle will do nothing, but when it's running normal if I turn my key the needle will bounce up and down from 0-200 RPM's, that's how I know if my engine is going to actually start up. I need to resolve this this issue since this is my DD. any body have a similar issue?

I've had a similar issue in the past, but there are a couple things to check as well:

When it acts up and you try to restart, is your tach needle very slightly bouncing? (maybe a couple hundred RPM, if that) If it isnt, it's most likely the CAS.

Another possibility is the Power TR unit, but that typically will leave your tach functioning properly when it wont start.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

Quoting alansupra94:
Well if you need one to test with, I can send you one for free. Lord knows I have too many of them.

wow your a life saver man! Cause I seriously can't afford to buy this part right now, plus find out its not even the problem. I was hoping to find someone with a 1G DSM but I don't know anybody with one. I will totally take you up on that offer, that's really cool for you to offer me that. I appreciate it so much. I will PM you my address.

I've had a similar issue in the past, but there are a couple things to check as well:

When it acts up and you try to restart, is your tach needle very slightly bouncing? (maybe a couple hundred RPM, if that) If it isnt, it's most likely the CAS.

Another possibility is the Power TR unit, but that typically will leave your tach functioning properly when it wont start.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

Yes it is bouncing only when it will actually fire up as stated in the end of my original post... So if it doesn't bounce that is common knowledge it's a bad CAS? I hope that's all it is, I don't want to have an electrical nightmare ahead of me lol

Oh and just to clarify, I said in my original post that I got the FIAV/ISC block off plate but it was to fix my high idle issue... It wasn't related to this problem though I did hear odd noises coming from that general area when this problem would act up. Is it possible for a CAS to go in & out like that? Sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad? Thanks for all the help so far guys.

swe_gvr4_1991

Hi!

Did you get this issue resolved? I have the same thing happening to me yesterday.
Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned