The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bad bearing?

Jesh

i replaced all of my rod bearings about 2 months ago. and about 2 weeks ago i start hearing this really bad metal on metal sound. sounds kinda like a rod bearing, but not like any I've heard. it occurs about 15-20 times per second at 1000rpms with pretty much tells me its something in the lower rotating assembly. at first i thought it was the balance shaft bearings, because at idle my oil light would flicker, so i did a eliminator kit, and that raised the oil pressure and the light doesn't flicker anymore. but the noise didn't change at all. oh i forgot to mention... when i did the eliminator kit i checked all the rod bearings and they all had a little side-side play but otherwise where all tight. my oil pump bearings where nice and snug too. i checked the main bearings as best i could, they seemed okay, but i wouldn't rule them out. this noise is coming directly from the engine no doubt about it, could lifters be doing this? they would be ticking at 30-40 times per second right? i'm stumped guys, help me out here. i know its something simple i'm just not seeing it.

boosted_85

if I was you I would drain the oil and look for metal particle and will also open up the oil filter and inspect for metal particle in the element before starting the car up again.

fuel

if you had the sump off you should have just taken off the rod bearing caps and checked the condition of the bearings. I assume you replaced the rod bearings because they wore out previously? Did you get the crank measured, and if required machined and polished afterwards? scoring on the crank will wear out a new bearing in no time.

Jesh

i'm not all about pulling the cylinder, and dropping the tranny so i can measure the crank. it my DD so i can really do that anyways. if it comes down to it i will but i'm avoiding it at all costs.

Hertz

Staff member
Can you check the crank harmonic dampener pulley, make sure it is not separating it's rubber sandwich. Grab onto it and see if it is sloppy at all.

mikus

Follow the bottom belt from the alternator down to the lower pulley at end of crank.

This part is notorious for separating, every original one will fail if it hasn't already. If it's bad you can grab the outer end from under the hood and wiggle it back and forth.

You can get a better visual/grip if you remove driver tire & wheelwell cover.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned