The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

back on road after 5+ years of JSB 610/2000 lives again

hey everyone, im new to forums, and gvr4's. I recently put one on the road after sitting for a long time and have some random ?'s hopefully someone can help. haven't had time to really check anything yet 1. what is stock boost? im holding at 8-10 psi, i assume the selonid in the vac lines that go to the w/gate bleeds off pressure to move boost above spring pressure. #2 fuel economy? average miles per tank pretty much stock? tank size? #3 ways to improve fuel economy? i think im gonna clean the maf n check tp sensor position, i have a slight on its face feeling @ slight throttle --> WOT and after 4500 any other tips. also have a snapon modis and no coms with car useing the obd 1 plug it calls for any ideas. thanks

Terry Posten

Stock PSI is around 10-12. What your seeing is about right.

Gas mileage with a stock car is 18 city, 25 highway but can vary a lot with agressive driving. Like 10 city.

Tank size is 15.5 gallons. While filling, the pump will shut off early. You will be able to put 3 more gallons in after the first time it pops off, or you can fill it slowly and it will fill better.

The stock IC cooler is small, it will heat soak fast. Faster on hot days, This will show itself by falling on its face due to the ECU sensing "knock" and retarding timing to keep you from melting a piston or blowing a hole in one.

Gas mileage can be improved by a fresh tune-up, clean injectors, MAS, replace all filters and keeping you foot out of it.

Last edited:
i think Im gonna take a ride down to work n grab my o-scope and a can of maf cleaner in a little bit and see if i can see a dif. b4 and after cleaning, i already cleaned the k/n filter didn't add oil as maf is so close to filter. plugs n wires are fresh. wish i could com. with my scanner n see fuel trims ect.

fuel

I find that Mitsubishi MAFs dont really get so affected as much as Nissan MAFs by crap/oil on them.

GSX_TC

Welcome to the forum. How about some pics of your car?

Vr4junkie

Gas mileage is not so great on these cars I would avg about 17-19Mpg and like 23mpg on the hwy its when you get into boost alot that's when your millage goes down.

tyeler18

I managed to pull 28mpg avg on my 700 mile trip in my galant. That was with climbing hills in the rockies and my boost happy 14b didn't help my case much.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned