The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Automatic swap into galant vr4 NEED HELP

BLUELIGHTSBABY

I have tried the search for our forums. It shows all kind of post for many different things, and not very specific to AWD automatic swaps. I could use some help, or links to Vr-4 owners that have done the swap..

I purchased an auto trans (91/92 talon), did a complete rebuild with IPT parts. I purchased the auto T case, and 4 bolt LSD auto rear end with axles. I've got a epprom TCU for 91/92 awd, and the wiring harness out of a 91/92 awd auto talon/gsx..

I've already installed the auto shifter and cable out of 91 galant, and also swapped out the peddle assembly.

It appears, thus far I can not find any post concerning any details on doing the swap.. I don't really want to swap out the wiring harness, and I saw where a forum member said there was a way to wire an auto harness into a 5 speed harness, but there really are no details on how to do it..

So any help that any of you can provide on an auto swap would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EHmotorsports

Have you tried DSM tuners? seems like it would be an almost identical swap. I am sure some minor differences will be found.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

I will try them too, however they have some stupid rules about posting to ask questions until you've helped with 30 post of more.

Thanks

EHmotorsports

You can just post wow such a cool idea! Or what a cool car!!!! As long as it's more then three words they let it go.

transparentdsm

so i have done it, its extremely annoying and it took me a long time. hours of wiring and getting everything figured out on paper. this is the best i can do to help you - click i have everything else written in long hand on paper and in my manual.

brisvr4

Is this going to be a daily driver?
If not just wire the auto as per Kiggly and be done with it.

transparentdsm

^ agree. but if you are DD the car and really want to do the wiring, send me a PM and we can talk and ill help you out with it. i can use a scanner and scan my work in for you. i love helping the community, but this is a serious project. i had never done anything like this before and it took me 6 nights after work, about 5 hours a night to get all the wiring sorted, remove the carpet, expose the ecu wires and tie in all 18 or so wires that are needed to run the TCU, get it all back together and have the car running. so this could end up being a 30 hour project, i just want to warn you.

dsm10o0

I didnt want to deal with the wiring so i went with a forcedfour shift box. Saves you alot of time.

click

transparentdsm

2 things,

1. Nate Crisman has one of those in his 1G and it is awesome, but his is a gutted track car and for normal DD i really wanted it to stay as stock appearing on the interior as possible so i opted out of this solution.

2. i got a PM from another member doing the auto swap. he asked if i could help with the wiring and im going to do my best. over the next 3 days i will be going through all my material and try to make a easy to follow diagram to run the TCU as stock.

dsm10o0 if you want or need help let me know and for the price of Shell V-Power in my VR4 and a 12 pack of guinness for when i get home ill come spend the day down there and bring all my books and info to help you wire it up and ill leave any books that you may still need if we can't finish it while im there. tracking all the wires down and seeing what goes where was the hardest part and i have most of it figured out already on paper.

Mark

I have an IPT shift box sitting around if somebody wants it.. It plugs direct into the auto trans. Just pay shipping..

Last edited:

dsm10o0

Thanks for the offer transparent, but I will eventually get a ratchet shifter.

BLUELIGHTSBABY

Yes sir. I would really like a copy of your work.

Transmission is installed with Kiggley flex plate, and new TO bearing. Trans was rebuilt with IPT clutch packs front and rear, and their shift kit. I kept the stock torque converter.

Auto T-case, and 4 bolt LSD rear end with axles and cups are installed. I'm keeping the 4 lug set up for now.

I installed the auto shifter and cables out of a Galant GS, and the brake assembly. I removed the factory brake/clutch assembly on the VR4. I have it set up where you have to press the brake peddle down to shift out of park.. I was going to do the ignition cable too, but it's too much work to drill the rivets out on the the key assembly.

I want to find a way to incorporate the Galant GS shift lights (D-R-N-3-2-1) in the dash of the Galant VR4 instrumentation. It has the little squares in the middle of the dash. It appears you can take it out the Galant GS dash and cut the one's out on the Galant VR4. Don't know how much trouble it's going to be. I may have to pull the body wiring harness out of the Galant GS, unless they will work with the Galant VR4 wiring. ????

I have a engine wiring harness out of a 92 eagle talon automatic AWD. I really don't want to install a complete harness, if I can cut out the section that goes from the trans to the TCU and wire that up, That would be best I assume.

If I were to install the 92 talon awd harness, is there any changes that have to be made for the Galant VR4 ECU to work??

Any pictures or diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

rgeier11

Everything you need wiring wise is here click

Go to the top where it says "Tech" and it will pop right up. Your welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

transparentdsm

thank you i was going crazy trying to find this website. now i don't need to find the rest of my notes from when i did it. this is everything guys. rgeier11 your the man.

rgeier11

I'm Facebook buddies with the owner. All of the old threads kept saying foreignmuscle.com, but the site was NLA. Found him on facebook and BAM, done.

quato

Quoting BLUELIGHTSBABY:

I want to find a way to incorporate the Galant GS shift lights (D-R-N-3-2-1) in the dash of the Galant VR4 instrumentation. It has the little squares in the middle of the dash. It appears you can take it out the Galant GS dash and cut the one's out on the Galant VR4. Don't know how much trouble it's going to be. I may have to pull the body wiring harness out of the Galant GS, unless they will work with the Galant VR4 wiring. ????

That shouldn't be too difficult. I have been in and out of the gauge cluster so much I know it well. You should be able to plug in the auto part of the cluster and carefully cut out the little squares in the middle. IIRC there are already holes in the back side for the lights as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts