The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Auto swap

Well unfortunately i found a puddle of gear oil under my running gvr4, couldn't find exactly where its coming from except towards the passenger side end. I have a automatic trans tcase 4bolt diff laying in my garage so i guess im going to have to swap it.

Is there any links on how to swap & what all is needed? Im going to be pulling the motor and everything and putting it into another gvr4 so i need to figure out whats all involved in the auto swap.

Stock would be nice but i was thinking more about the ipt setup. The car won't be a daily driver more drag oriented and occasional cruising car.

austinawd

Oh, gotcha. I fully swapped mine (pita), so I don't know if I can pick it apart. Besides the t-case, rear end and axles, I'm thinking trans, linkage/assembly, then passenger axle. I had a manual and auto half shaft side by side and couldn't find a difference, but I used the auto anyway. I think that would be it to get it functioning with a box or going manumatic.

Last edited:

Which mounts did you have to change, how did you setup the flex plate stock 1g awd auto cause ive heard you need to piece together two flex plates, did you have to change out pedal assembly? did you have to switch to a automatic master cylinder? And does the stock driveshaft work? Sorry for all the questions i haven't found a solid answer for most of them.

austinawd

Oh yeah, you need a flex plate and torque converter with all the bolts (I had my dd auto talon that I ripped apart for mine, so I didn't go through the parts collecting) . You need an auto starter too. The driveshaft works, and you can swap out the brake/clutch assemblys, but if you get it from a talon, you will need to modify the bolt holes in the steering column because the peddal assemblys have slightly different angles. You will need the mount that goes on the transmission, but the engine bay one is the same. I will try to remember what is needed lol

Last edited:

You cant keep the stock pedal assembly and just leave the clutch pedal alone? I have the converter just not the flexplate so you used just the one flex plate?

austinawd

Yeah, you can leave the manual pedals in there. I've heard of people stacking the flex plates, but I just left mine how the talon came from the factory, because it's only the daily driver.

Mark

If you search I posted a list of parts needed and part #'s when I did my swap way back when.

If your looking for an IPT shift box I have one here left over ill see you cheap.

misterfixit

****MAJOR POINT TO WATCH*******

When you bolt up the tranny to the motor, make sure the torque converter is engaged in the oil pump properly.
It should sit 10mm ish behind the outer face of the bell housing. If it does not DO NOT FORCE IT!!!!

I smashed a pump on my Eterna Sava swapping the trans. I hadn't noticed the TQ come unseated from the pump drive gear. When I bolted up the trans It didn't sit home straight away. I figured the dowels were being pigs. they usually are on motorcycle crank cases. As i carried on wrenching there was a satisfying mechanical 'pop'!

When I attempted to drive the car it didn't move.

When I tore down the trans the drive gear had exploded. I used the engine mount bolts to shatter it with the TQ converter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Its a common thing on Mitsu trans too. as getting another pump was a pain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich

Mark, i believe I read your post but it left me scratching my head on a few aspects. And the parts list had me thrown off especially when i reading further down, and one guy says ohh this does work and another saying it doesn't.it was the damn good post though one of the few helpful threads in auto swapping i found through the net.

I meant to type in kiggly mod i thought the ipt setup let you bypass tcu as well but was mistaken. Some year i may throw an auto harness and tcu setup in it till then cheaper is better.

Noted about the tq converter hopefully it wont be too terrible installing the trans on the motor out side of the car.

austinawd

It was a pain in the nuts to wire in the tcu cleanly. I have the neutral safety all wired up to completely replace the clutch switch. Pins need to be replaced in the body, ecu, and mpi harness. The speed, tps, rpm signal, and a few constant 12v and ignition controlled 12v need to be connected to the ecu harness, along with some grounds. Then I added a pin in the kick pannel fuse box where it is already labeled "auto", but had no wires running from it. That one is used for the overdrive switch, power/Eco switch, and tcu power. Then there is the gas pedal switch and the diagnostic port wires. Then, of course, the reverse lights.

I'm not sure if anyone else has a write-up on wiring up a tcu, or if anyone else has actually done it. I really didn't document well, but I do have my ecu and tcu pinouts and my car to look at if you wanted to do it and need a little help.

Gizmovr4

Those shift box are pretty nice, though im pretty sure my intentions are to kiggly mod no tcu and a b&m shifter. Maybe down the road going with a tcu setup if for whatever reason i cant stand the harsh engagements.

Hey guys, have a question i think ive sourced all the hard parts, except the transmission mount, any company's other than avid make a trans mount? can be a stock replacement?, or know where i can buy one from?

I don't really want to spend 300.00 on mounts cause i only really need the one mount. Could care less about the shinny appeal atm.

And I Have poly's in the others except front but planned on going to bulfab cross member any how.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts