The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Are you running only one fan? *step inside*

cupajoe

I was thinking, about removing the fan closer to the engine and wire the other fan as the primary. So I would open up all that space sense the other fan is infront of the radiator. Anyone running this way? Would it still be able to keep the engine cool? If it would that would open up that space much more.

Just a thought, let me know what you think.

curtis

The front pusher is the one that kicks on at extreme temp or when the ac kicks on. I really don't think its going to push enough air in rush hour traffic. I have seen people especially Talons run two slimline fans in front and use nothing on the backside but pushers aren't really as eff as a pullers. I have a scirocco rad on mine and used the fans from a early 90's passat. Need to find one from a corrado to use since the motor is smaller but they absolutely rock. I bet those factory fans are in the 2500 cfm range. Its a single motor but the one fan runs a belt to the other. If you want to save space hit the junkyard and look for electric fans from something big or a newer mercedes benz. Those fans rock as well. A buddy had one he was going to use on his truck I measured it and it looked close to be able to fit our radiator support top and bottom using bolts and spacers. He flipped it on using a battery in the shop and it felt like a big cage fan blowing in the shop and that was on the low speed.

cupajoe

Alright, thats not a bad idea. I think I will hit the junkyard and see what I can find, I definetly need a slim fan. Thanks for the insight and advice.

Barnes

Well, considering the highest recorded temp in Wasilla was 91°F, he might be fine with just one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or are you not in Wasilla, I can't remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Oh crap I didn't notice that just take them both off you'll be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Where's Wasilli at anyway. Had an Army buddy from Kenai....need to look him up and find a number on him.

H05TYL

I've run just the front one (wired in place of the rear one) and had no problems - even when stuck in traffic in mid summer on 28ºC (82ºF) days.

cupajoe

Yea, Im still in wasilla for now. But going to be shipping out in a couple months, so depends on where I get stationed. I might need 2 fans /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So your saying you pulled the fan closer to the engine(pusher) and put it in the place of the fan(puller) on the front?

H05TYL

Sorry, no, I meant I used the front fan but connected the wiring from the rear fan to it.

broxma

I run a single JVT 12" fan, passenger side in Texas. The car will begin to overheat in 95+ degree weather if I am out on the street at a dead stop for 10 minutes or so in traffic but otherwise is fine. By overheat I mean just push east of center on the gauge. If I rev the motor it drops back down. The fan is also only getting 10.2 volts for some reason through my relay so not full speed. I have a 1G aluminum radiator. No AC.

/brox

TurboTrader

There are many factors, heat and humidity both come into play. Also keep in mind a pusher fan will never be as productive as a puller, and the A/C fan, even re-wired will not push the CFM that the stock main fan will.

With that said, we are lucky enough to have a large frontal area for air to push through the radiator, so location (state), and it's heat/humidity both come into play a bunch.

I always err. on the side of caution and IMO, it is always better to be safe than sorry. With the frontal room we have between the radiator (or condensor), and the FMIC, there is no reason a secondary pusher can not be fitted for safe measure, and I would highly recommend doing so, especially with a DSM radiator that is about 1/2" thinner. With these cars, we are also lucky enough to have a 90-amp alternator as opposed to a 65-75 amp unit on the DSMs, so the power draw will not hurt any either.

cupajoe

Yea, Im going to run both fan and possibly add another pusher in front. Anyone running a 14" puller behind the radiator?

Quote:
Anyone running a 14" puller behind the radiator?

As in the stock location of the stock puller fan?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts