The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone using ECMLink to control rad fans?

KiNgMaRtY

Since the fan needs power and ground to kick it on, there may be something wrong with your switched 12v. You could just have it be a constant 12v and let the ecu provide the ground from the FPR.

thomcasey

When I ground the ground pin, it works fine with the key switch. But, I can look into making that change as a test. Will first verify I have the right wire though

I, too, am trying to get my ECU to control my radiator fan. I've applied Gtpdz's settings but i'm not having any luck. Also, is there a different setting that needs to be configured elsewhere? I am not able to activate the FPS in dsmlink, it is greyed out.

To expand on my setup, i've followed this thread to deal with the radiator fan wiring:
click

Pin 1 and 6 are soldered together (I have no resistor on my aftermarket fan, so the fan is always "high")
Pin 3 and 4 are wired to the + and - connectors on the radiator fan
Pin 2 and 5 are wired to both prongs in the FPS T connector (perhaps this is where i screwed up). Bridging these two kicks the fan on with the key

Oddly, when I shut the car off the radiator fan will turn on for a couple seconds until the solenoid clicks off. That is why I assumed my wiring was correct. Not being able to trigger the FPS in dsmlink isn't helping my troubleshooting.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

To trigger the relay manually with ECMlink you have to enable the factory settings.

Go to --> ECU config tab --> FPS tab --> check "enable normal (factory) settings"

Then go to the Misc tab and the FPS box should no longer be greyed out. Toggle the button to activate the FPS circuit.

For the wiring, you essentially want fan switch to be grounded through the FPS via the ECU. The hot side of the relay coil goes to 12v+. I use the switched side of the relay coil to control the ground side of the fan, and wire the fan's hot side directly to 12v+.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts