The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone using CXR TD05 Big 20G Turbo?

Gvr41415

looking at getting a new turbo, was going to do the 20g wheel and machined housing on my e3 b16g but the exaust wheel rubbed against the heatsheild some and i got the wrong rebuild kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif so i think ill just get a new one.Found this CXR TD05 Big 20G turbo on dsm graveyard,looks to be direct Bolt on, but it looks to cheep to be good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

click

has anyone used or currently using this turbo?

Is this a good website to buy from?

Any other turbo sugestions under or around the $500 range?

EHmotorsports

same as this only your paying markup. its made in china so good luck.
click

mcbride89

I would just look and pick up a good used 16g. I've read mixed reviews on dsm graveyard both on here and tuners.

I just dont trust that china crap...

Ant

Last edited:

transparentdsm

a real 16g doesn't say turbocharger on the compressor housing. it has a stamped number on it. google it and look at images, there will be a bunch.

here this is the same turbo but 20 bucks less
click

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

You're not going to be able to buy a new turbo that is decent for under $500, end of story

LIV4PSI

I didn't mean new to him, I meant a brand new turbo

transparentdsm

i've been thinking about buying one of these CX Racing turbos lately, just to throw it on and see how long i can abuse the piss out of it. i mean for 150 - 200 bucks, i might just test it. see how they handle at a mid-low boost range(13-17) for a few hundred miles pull it off and inspect it. then see how it does at high boost(over 22) for a few hundred and pull it off and inspect it. if it can handle the 13-17 with minimal to no wear i may use it on 1078 for daily duties. if it can handle over 22 then im def using it on 1078.

Racah15

I have used a GSP (Godspeed Performance) which are similar to CXRacings, but stamped with their own logo, and I ran it hard( for an ebay turbo) and it showed no signs of shaft play all the way until the day I sold the car. I haven't heard any complaints from the guy I sold it to, so I'm guessing it's still good. My buddy used one and hit 20+psi with it and was rock solid, but his was a 20g. Mine was an evo316g. I will tell you this. GSPs are higher quality (but truthfully far sub-par to any new MHI unit) than other eBay turbos. And if you use your car for DD duties (Not to exceed 14psi, or around that area) these turbos will last! Make sure you have a clean oil source and make sure you have a clean line, and use good oil. Treat these turbos like $1400 Garrett units. And they will take care of you. I kept up with a lot of cars with my turbo and it definately gave a very nice kick in the pants once it kicked (They also sound like a ball bearing unit for some reason) and I am very happy with that turbo. Had I not found an MHI unit locally, I probably would of bought another for sure. If you are in a pickle and need a quick, cheap turbo for you D.D. I recommend GSP evo316g. I would actually dare say they are better quality than some used MHI unit some people sell. Just make sure to buy it new. DO NOT buy it used. If you are looking for a performance turbo, I wouldn't recommend these as there is ALWAYS a chance they pre-maturely fail and can actually cause catastrophic engine failure. It's not just the turbo that will blow it can destroy your whole engine should murphys law take effect on your car. But with D.D duties, and your occasional weekend/spirited driving, these will last a good while.

My $0.02

transparentdsm

awesome, yeah my cars aren't drag monsters there just for driving around and a little spirited cornering. i wouldn't do it on 138, but 1078 could use a larger turbo then the 14b it has.

EHmotorsports

I don't recommend the china made turbos because I know it's a hit or miss if they will last. But with that said I have a big e316g china turbo running 24-25psi and still going for 4 years. The deal with it isn't if it's when it will blow out. Good luck.

transparentdsm

right, i understand this. i will be keeping the 14b as a backup and probably will pull it apart have it ported out real big, have a 34mm flapper thrown on there take the cartridge apart, put all new bearings and seals, bigger turbine wheel and port the compressor housing. i just figure while im doing that instead of buying another good MHI 14b for like 120$ spend a little more and do some field testing on something and maybe be able to keep it in there for a while. like you said you have 4 years and 24psi with yours so why not give it a try.

Number996

I was looking at the same turbo!

Then i ran into a guy at a show two weeks ago and he was running a big 16g on 25lb with e85. He said he has to rebuild the turbo every season but with a on e a year rebuild it wasn't a bad deal with a stock turbo.

Street Surgeon

I'd say go for it.... BUT.... Once you get it take it to a turbo repair shop and just have them run through it, ensure it's balanced etc.

Gvr41415

i just bought the exact same gs 16g after reading another thread yesterday,it is my d.d. but this turbo is only temporary. once some bills are paid ill be calling F.P.

Gvr41415

hey guys i was looking at all the ebay 16gs and they dont look like current turbo i would like to if it is a real or fake before i scrap it. my compressor housing looks like this

while all the ebays i saw look like this

Racah15

Quoting Gvr41415:
hey guys i was looking at all the ebay 16gs and they dont look like current turbo i would like to if it is a real or fake before i scrap it. my compressor housing looks like this

while all the ebays i saw look like this

I will only say this because it's a possibility. The area grinded off looks too big to be TDO5H. You may actually have a Taiwanese turbo called the EVO3 GT. They have the 470 serial number almost directly copied from an MHI unit, but instead of the TDO5H, it has EVO3 GT. That's why they might have ground it off. To fool someone into thinking its an MHI unit. Just food for thought.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts