The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

anyone have an aftermarket alarm with remote start?installed by themselves?

Brunoboy

I need to know the diagram to installing an alarm with remote start. Does anyone know what color wires do what and how to install a remote start to the car. Thanks
-Shane

mitsuturbo

I did this on 1411, but i dont have much useful information to offer, unfortunately.
I used a power probe and multimeter, and just went nuts. Ripped out the dash, started tracing and probing wires, and did a really clean install with wires wrapped around the crash beam and the control unit stashed under the windshield.

I do remember how i did the door locks. There's a relay near the fusebox that i just tapped into. I don't remember how, but doing it this way somehow bypassed the factory alarm so that if i locked the doors before shutting them, when i hit unlock and opened the door, the factory alarm did not go off.

Sorry i can't offer more specific and helpful information, but i did this about 5 years ago.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
Installed a Compustar on my Eclipse a few years ago. I have wiring colors written down and some Mitchell's wiring diagrams that are pretty spot on. Honestly though, once you have a good idea what you're looking for, you just have to look for it. Are you handy with a multimeter?

Brunoboy

its all good, thanks, anyone else? I do have a aftermarket alarm that i lost the controller too, the wires are all tapped in already, should it be a direct replacement besides doing a remote start?
-Shane

jepherz

Staff member
For the most part, yes. Theres power, ground, door lock, door unlock, some sort of dome light to signal when the door is open, etc.

Adding remote start requires splicing into the ignition wires, which I would SERIOUSLY using a turbo timer harness to patch into, so you don't actually mess with the factory wiring there. They are super cheap and well worth it. You also may need to find the tach wire as well, which I'm sure my diagrams have in them.

mitsuturbo

OH OH!
I remember how i did the remote start.
First i went to the junkyard, hacked out both sides of an ignition harness, and made custom plugs with the desired wiring in place. This way it was all plug n play.

You can get a good quality pager alarm with remote start from Scytek . I had one in my eclipse, I'll be putting one in the galant too. A good free vehicle wiring resource for installs is The12Volt .
You have to bypass the clutch switch as well. I used to install alarms for a living, these are what I use.

mitsuturbo

It's a good idea to disable the clutch switch for starting in our cars anyhow. It's one of the first mods i did.

Brunoboy

thanks a lot guys, and yes I have disabled the clutch switch already but wired up for two step aha, and I do as well have a turbo timer installed with plug and play harness. I will probably be using that as my splice and dice then. thanks a lot again.
-Shane

mitsuturbo

I'm going to be taking pics of all the connections i made, because i'm pulling the autostart and alarm out of 1411.
I don't really need a Clifford RSX 3.2 installed in the car anymore, since at best it's going back to almost stock.
I have the instruction manual and install guide for the alarm, so i can probably tell you what was tapped into and where... and why.
I pulled the dash to do mine, and i have to say, that's really the "right" way to do it, if you ask me. I could have made my wiring a little more neat, but I actually thought some of what i'd put in was factory, until i traced it back to the alarm unit.

If it warms up and dries out a bit today, i should be able to finish up on the removal process.

Brunoboy

I installed everything and it works except the door trigger, red/green i thought i tapped into it but iguess not, can someone take a pic of it for me asap. Thanks
-shane

On the alarm there are different leads for + door trigger and - door trigger, some alarms only have one wire and there is a jumper inside to switch whether it is + or -. Use a powered test light, a meter, or a test light hooked to + and test the wire green/red (NOT red/green as you posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gifRather green with a red stripe) wire coming off the driver door switch. Open and close the switch to see if it is working for you. See the link above for the12volt. It is a direct link to the wiring.

mitsuturbo

I don't know if this will help you, but here is where i tapped for my door trigger. This green wire is a - activated trigger. That GR wire goes to the light on the dash which indicated a door is open. It goes straight from door pin circuitry (the latch circuits, i believe) to the etacs unit and indicator light. I honestly can't remember why i put the diode in there, but i know it was necessary for me to do it. Disregard the black wire you see there. That is for ignition surround illumination i installed from a talon (since our cars dont have key illumination). I think i also merged the trunk latch circuit into the door latch circuit (somewhere, although i cannot remember where), so that the dash light would show "door open" when the trunk latch was open, thus tripping the alarm.

Keep in mind, i installed this about six years ago. I spent many hours going through the wiring and making things work precisely how i wanted. I also made a custom ignition harness so i would not have to cut any factory equipment. I can not remember all the details of what i did and where/why. I just know it worked great, until my entire alarm sh*t the bed when i dropped my remote one day. I could never get another remote to program to the unit. I may have an incompatible replacement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

Brunoboy

My doors lock and unlock but the pager says my door is open so i cant remote start it, the wiring paper i had said red/green but i tapped a green with red stripe but i dont think it was the right one.
-shane

gtluke

installing an alarm is the greatest way to ruin a car. f*** I hate them so much.
Remote start ensures a ruined car that won't start eventually.

That is why you had to put in a diode, if you don't have a common door trigger (each individual door has its own trigger) you have to put diodes on each one. Most alarms have a trunk pin circuit though.
Quoting mitsuturbo:
I honestly can't remember why i put the diode in there, but i know it was necessary for me to do it... I think i also merged the trunk latch circuit into the door latch circuit (somewhere, although i cannot remember where), so that the dash light would show "door open" when the trunk latch was open, thus tripping the alarm.

GTLuke: Alarms are good, remote start is nice. As long as it is professionally and competently installed. Hacktacular wiring on anything will ruin a car. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, if you don't want an alarm, great. But I seriously challenge you to find some data to back up your opinions you state as fact.

Brunoboy: both of the above wiring sources call it green/red, where did you get your wiring from? If you test it you most likely find the wire is hooked up wrong. If a switch is bad then when you put your dome light on door it will just stay on. If it is - all the time you have to check each door individually to figure out which it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

alansupra94

Good information in here.

I need to install an alarm just for the power locks feature, I don't have a key fob anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif never came with my car.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Speed_Racer:

Brunoboy: both of the above wiring sources call it green/red, where did you get your wiring from? If you test it you most likely find the wire is hooked up wrong. If a switch is bad then when you put your dome light on door it will just stay on. If it is - all the time you have to check each door individually to figure out which it is.

I seem to recall that the reason for the diode may have been because a light was staying on.
Another thing i did, rather than cut into factory wiring, was found the power door lock relay, and tapped into it with the alarm wiring. Relays are easily replaceable, so it worked out great. Now i just have a relay with a hole in each side of the case, and a little pigtail coming off of it for the alarm.

Quoting alansupra:
I need to install an alarm just for the power locks feature, I don't have a key fob anymore never came with my car.

Our cars did not come with keyless entry. The factory alarm was run entirely off the lock switch arming, and key-in-the-door disarming.

Brunoboy

I bought the alarm of a homie of mine that works at an alarm and sound system install shop, he also printed me out the diagram and for remote start its only 11 connections for the whole alarm and remote start. Im just looking for the door trigger.
-shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts