The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone go from 2g GSX/EVO to a gVR4?

I previously had a 99GSX that was cleaner than brand new, if that makes any sense. It had 1 owner and was takencare of very well.

There is a gVR4 that is FS about 300 miles from me, clean title, decent miles, straight body, etc.

My question is, am I going to end up selling the vr4 because it feels outdated? I was planning on picking up the car to daily drive, and sell my current car (kia). I sold the 99gsx due to a # of reasons, it was also my first car if that means anything. I ask this question because I really want the vr4 because its like a poor mans evo.. but at the same time I don't want to be repeating the same thing i did with the gsx.

Is anyone here that can chime in who has experienced with GSX/EVO's and moved onto a gVR4? what was it like? Are you happy?

TurboDSM

Go test drive it and see if you like it. That should tell you right away if you want it.

IncorpoRatedX

i went from an evo to a gvr4 and am completely happy.

Terry Posten

Careful saying a poor man's EVO. The are quite a few of us that would not trade the GVR4 for an EVO.

Besides, It is why the EVO became to be.

What year evo? do you mind all the small issues you have with the car ?

I would test drive the car but its 300 miles away..

JCorbo25

I owned 1G DSMs, 2G DSMs, an Evo VIII, an Evo IX, and now a Galant VR4. With that, the GVR4 is no way a poor mans Evo.

I don't think comparing a GVR4 to an Evo is proper, they are completely different animals. I'd say the GVR4 is more of a "4-door AWD DSM" and I think it's amazing. You may run into the same issue as your 2G DSM then. Personally, I don't mind the small issues and really love not having a car payment. It's been 5 years since my last DSM and I was hankering to tinker with something. The Evos were too nice to do garage installs.

With all that said, I'd buy another Evo in a heartbeat, but I'd also keep the GVR4. Although I don't think the GVR4 is a good DD unless you plan on working on it a fair amount. I've done a slew of things to keep mine running the last few months and have only put on 4,200 miles.

DR1665

I cut my teeth on DSMs. Bought a 97 Talon brand new in 1996, put over 210,000 miles on it over the course of 12+ years. I swore up and down the internet that I would never sell "Daisy," I loved her too much to ever let her go. Then I came upon a deal on my second GVR4 and sold her to the first lowballer what called about the listing on Craigslist.

DSMs are getting rare, sure, but they're still dime-a-dozen. The GVR4 is special, and not just in that it's rare. These cars were even more ahead of their time than the DSM was - and we all know how innovative the DSM was. This is the precursor to the Lancer Evolution; the grand-daddy of them all. Of the only 3,008 ever sold in North America, our crack team of historians and statisticians estimate - with more authority than any other source you will find anywhere else on the web - fewer than 1500 are likely to remain on the road today.

You can find another 2G. And you can clean it up just as nice as the one you've got now if it's rough, but this might be your last chance to scoop up a solid GVR4. It's not a "poor man's Evo." It's the thinking man's Evo. It's the ultimate sleeper. And you will get more compliments and admiration from gearheads who know what's up than you'll ever get with another clean, 400awhp or whatever DSM.

If you take pride in driving something with character that can break off unsuspecting mouth-breathers at-will and take pride in keeping a well-maintained machine in your driveway, you will find the Galant VR4 to extremely rewarding beyond anything a DSM could deliver. Not to say there's anything wrong with the DSM, 2Gb DSMs are an iconic design and, done right, sex on wheels, but the GVR4 brings just enough old school JDM flavor to the table to set it apart.

Don't let the low rent, unwashed masses sway you with their talk of "4-door DSM." This is the original, homologated specialty vehicle upon which pretty much every ass-kicking Mitsubishi from 1988-on was based. Go any further back down the evolutionary ladder and you'll find the Willys Jeep.

Join us.

fuel

Quoting Terry Posten:
Careful saying a poor man's EVO. The are quite a few of us that would not trade the GVR4 for an EVO.

Besides, It is why the EVO became to be.

Or, for some of us, what the Evo started out as :p

ghostinthevr4

I agree with DR1665 whole heartedly. These cars are wolfs in sheeps clothing and I love the styling and the old school appeal of the way the car looks. It looks like a four door that's gonna hurt you, yet it's classy. Ive had a number of 1gen Dsm's I never had an Evo, to me the galant drives better than a DSM but the inside feels a lil small to me. I am kinda big though, oh yeah let's not call the Galant a DSM. You can feel the difference from a car built in Normal Illnois compared to Japan. The VR-4 is top quality, it depends on the condition you get yours in.

My car was very well maintained and I had all the service records from the previous owner. My engine was stock but the previous person put on white line suspension components. I fell in love with the car, way better than a DSM those guys are jealous of these car they just won't admit it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just rember this is a 20 plus year old car! She's better than a chick, cause she'll treat you as good as you treat her. Can't say the the same thing about a chick!

4thStroke

I'm in the Vancouver area. If you want to make the short trip up here, you can come take a look, I'll take you for a ride.

My car, unfortunately, does not serve justice for a stock VR4. Mine is far from stock and a little abrasive for daily duty. There are many days where I wish mine was left alone and I had picked up something else to modify.

donkeylips

It depends on what you want the car for. And what you value in a car.

I always have trouble making these decisions and that is why I own 7 cars.

speedyvr4

ive had a 2gnt,now currently have a 1g tsi awd and a 92 gvr4. I stumbled upon the gvr4 a few years back and couldn't pass it up.( especially for $1500 bucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) I love my 1g, its my weekend warrior, the gvr4 takes me to work everyday and back and has enough umph to not be boring. the build quality in the gvr4 is a step up on the dsm, and both my cars are in decent shape. Sadly i would trade both of them for a evo viii in a heartbeat. It's just light years away from the dsm or the gvr4. But like some one mentioned before, you gotta love the car for what it is. the gvr4 in general is just a damm good car. Sure my car breaks down, but what 20 year old car doesn't? my dsm and gvr4 have been great to me, I'm a mechanic so I try to stay on top of maintenance issues best I can. basicly, If you want the car for a DD that will start everyday, lightly modded will be fun,like the fact that wont see another one like it on the road every day, then go for it. If you want something thats blistering fast and handles like a evo, then you gotta get an evo. my opinion, not tryin to hurt anyones feelings.good luck with it.

4wheelsqueal

this was a shot of my garage from last september. As you can see, i owned all three, a 2g eclipse, a vr4 and an evo at the same time. i loved all of them but i wouldn't give up my evo now for any vr4. i had 5 gvr4's, however, none of them were in running condition when i got them. Two of them were stripped shells on their way to the crusher. I spent five years working on them, trying to maintain them and get them all road-worthy. Finally though, they just got to be too much work, they were keeping me away from my family and taking up too my of my life. Maybe if i had started with a well-maintained vr4, maybe i'd still have one. My first mitsubishi was my 1997 gsx, replaced the motor, tranny and countless other parts but its now at the point where i can just get in a drive it and not have to worry about it breaking all the time. I love the evo, almost wish i had gotten one instead of the galants. I had lots of fun in 555/2000 and i miss that one since i had worked on it the most and it meant the most to me. Loved the sleeper effect of the galant as well. I'd say try and get a ride in a galant and the evo before you make your decision. try to find a well-maintained, well-taken care of example rather than a stripped, beat shell. will save you tons of tim and grief. Thats my .02.

Vr4junkie

That's a bad ass garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif lucky man

citymunky

HAHA, nice diamonds above the garage door.

4wheelsqueal

I'll have to take a new picture and post it. I made a walking crank from a junk crank and rods and bolted that to the garage under the diamonds. Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Im closer in tigard with a much more stockish VR4 if you want to see how gutless it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I also currently own all 3, though my 2g is basically been taken over by my old co-driver. I have the GVR4 cause its a cool car, but it doesnt even come close to touching the fun factor of my IX. The galant does great for what i have it for, daily beater and snow machine, but when I want to have fun its hop in the Evo time.

cheekychimp

LOL was that "gutless" comment tongue in cheek or is yours still sporting the oil cooler sized "interfooler?"

I really want to drive a late model EVO to find out what all the fuss is about. I drove a few earlier model EVOs in my youth and they weren't 'all that' in my opinion; but then again, my VR4s were rarely 'stock' for long so it's kind of a stupid comparison. I just find for the street that about 1 bar (14-15 lbs) of boost on a 16G turbo with a decent intercooler and a 3.909 or 4.3 final ratio gearbox is really peppy without requiring a sh*t load of other mods that mess up the driveability.

The only other car that gave as good or better a compromise between performance and driveability was the EP3 Civic Type R, which despite all the Honda haters, I still maintain is about the best performing stock car in it's class that you can buy. It got great gas mileage when driven sensibly too! And yet for all that, although the Civic was fast, it scared the living daylights out of me. It was twitchy, had loads of torque steer, was incredibly susceptible to cross winds on bridges; but worst of all I knew if I ever crashed it, that that fabulous engine would end up in my lap. I bet in a real race the Civic could beat the aging VR4 on top speed and maybe even handling but not with me behind the wheel. I backed off at the point where I'd be inducing lift off oversteer in the VR4 (and grinning as the back swung out). I don't drive 'full out'. I admit it, I'm a *****, but I've been the first officer on the scene of too many FUBAR BUNDY accidents to not back off when things get silly. Besides, driven at about 70-80%, a lightly modded and slightly heavier VR4 just feels so damn stable and safe.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts