The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any other 5th gear options?

Lonewolf64

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting Lonewolf64:
Brian, I think you have underlying issues...At 4000rpm A/C blasting on a 16g setup with 3" exhaust and FMIC I was getting 27-29mpg. The boost gauge read just a few mm Hg vacuum, somewhere from 1-4. This is on a stock ratio 5th gear.

Also, I did plenty of passing and I was not light on the throttle when doing so--it would hit full boost on a pass. If I drove strictly for economy, I presume I could have hit 30mpg.

Interesting. I'd be curious if you have some sort of tuning to go along with that turbo/IC setup, sir. I would assume you've got larger injectors and a means for tuning them (chip, AFC)? That, along with the freer flowing exhaust might contribute to a 2-4mpg benefit.

At the same time, I'm running year-old NGKs (maybe 12k on them) and the O2 sensor that came with the car (when I bought it, not sure if OE).

Curious.

Quoting crankwalk:
Keep the exhaust stock but get a chip from Jeff.The stock computer has these things running super rich. Enhanced closed loop is what you need for cruising that fast. FMIC with hard pipes to replace the leaking rubber ones,2g/evo/3g maf plus the chip and leave everything else stock. Makes for a great economy cruiser.

Well, Jay hit the nail on the head. I have no further tuning besides a keydiver chip, but I had forgotten that it has enhanced closed loop operation. That must be the difference in MPG.
My relevant mods
2g MAF
Keydiver chip with all the goodies
ETS FMIC
16g
3" turboback exhaust

That setup nets me almost 30mpg on the highway on the stock 5th gear.

DR1665

I think Jay hit the nail on the head with regards to my plans for the grey car. Clean and stock-ish. It's hard enough coming up with funding for my rally car project as it is. Dumping mods into the daily is just not in the budget unless I hit the lottery or something.

So, for the daily, stock exhaust, stock turbo, improved IC plumbing (maybe a better cooler), a little tuning. Eventually, strip the shell and have it repainted right. Some window tint, a couple more upgraded speakers, and just enjoy having a car in which everything works.

I'm still thinking speed density though. It's what, $100 for the MAP, IAT and pig tails per car, right? Both ECUs are socketed, so it's just a question of burning a couple EPROMs and spending a Saturday afternoon with a friend and his Ostrich. Just not a fan of MAF setups.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Throwout is making a little noise these days, so I'll start shopping around for the 5th gear so I'll have it when the trans comes out before too long.

656of1000

Isn't the GGSX 5th gear an option? I heard it is longer.

I don't know my fuel milage yet, and won't on this tank. I got a little over zelous on the way to and from work, so this tank won't be accurate. Anyways my tire size is 215/50/17's

MPH's to RPM's are as follows:
60=2000
70=2350
80=2700
90=3050
100=3400
110=3750
120=4100

turboaddict

what did you do to the oil guide? If I am cluttering this up to much you can pm me.
thanks

Last edited:

If anyone does this install they will need to know this so I will post it up here.

This is the email I got from Jon asking how to intall the oiler.

It was used to send out from the guide to the end cover.

You’ll have to trim off the end of the oil guide at the bearing plate so it’ll sit in the case.

The oiler fits onto the end cover oiler. You may have to tweak the shape of the end cover oiler so the plastic oiler can fit onto it.

Install the plastic oiler into the end cover and carefully put the end cover on.

That’s it.

I just looked for close to half an hour and I can't find one picture of one of these things installed. Sorry, but no I don't have one.

Its a little white piece of plastic

turboaddict

thank for looking. I will see if jon has any laying around. I picked up the 25% 5th gear used and need to figure something out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned