The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another Tranny Code. W5M332MMZL

IncorpoRatedX

I did some searches on the board and i only came up with one thread that contained this transmission code, the only response was that someone didnt know what it was.
I might get a trans from a friend with the code W5M332MMZL and i'd like to know if it's going to work in my other galant. Can anyone help me out? Seems like we need a mitsubishi transmission database /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-josh

IncorpoRatedX

Man, no one has anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Thanks for the effort ryan, but those were the first threads i found upon searching. I think any info findable on this transmission isnt going to be found through searching gvr4.org /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IncorpoRatedX

I got a chance to visually inspect the trans today. The shifter cables mount at a funny angle, and the shifter arm has a drop in it like the 2g shifter arms do, but it doesnt have a weight on it.

the previous owner told the current owner that it was a 93 GVR4 tranny. I was going to buy it but I don't want to get into a mess.

IncorpoRatedX

Long since over due update. I bought this trans and stuck it in my garage. It's been there for a while. Today i counted the final drive ration and it's got 3.9 final drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif I need a 3.5, anyone want to trade?

teet

I will not be held accountable for this info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Use at your own risk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif This is all the info I know...don't bother to PM me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I believe it too be an Evo transmission. I do not know if it is 1-3

http://www.pat.hi-ho.ne.jp/sizuku/spec.html
look there for the gear ratios for evo 1-3. You should be able to tell the difference between a evo 1 and evo 2-3 based on the 1-2 gear counts

it'll have steel shift forks and forged shift rails...tranny filter and magnet.

1-4 gear are very nicely spaced but 5th is a super econo gear.

the hot setup is to take the front diff and matching intermediate shaft from your 3.5 US based tranny...and the 5th gear from your US tranny (unless you want a taller 5th gear) and re assemble the bits.

john

IncorpoRatedX

I translated the page and didnt find any usefull information? unless i dont know what i should be looking at? probably the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I swapped a 3.5 diff into it tonight. should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

teet

look at the "specs" part and go down to where it has all the 1-5 transmission ratios for each evo variation. Thats the helpful part

IncorpoRatedX

i guess i still dont understand it, i dont see any with a final drive ratio of 3.9

teet

the transmission you have doesn't have a FINAL drive ratio of 3.9...does it? How did you determine it had a 3.9 final drive ratio? counting teeth on the front diff?

thanks
john

IncorpoRatedX

the front diff had 58 teeth.. i think it was?
I used a paint stick and marked the output shaft for the tcase, put a clutch disk in it and marked it, counted the revolutions for it to realign, my usdm one was 3.5, the other was 3.9, so put a usdm diff in it..

teet

you measured the ratio you'd need to match for the rear diff. Not the actual final drive. you'd have to have measured how many revolutions the front diff axle stubs turned in relation to the input shaft and what ever gear you had it in...to get the "true" final drive (5.4 in the tranny with a 3.9 rear diff or 4.9 in the tranny with a 3.5 rear diff).

there are 58 teeth on the US front diff ring. 64 (or 63?) on the higher final drive front diff.

but this is all really semantics cause you swapped out the front diff...so you're good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

john

any box with the 3.909 rear end gear should have the 5.4 final drive. so i would guess it does. does this tranny have a front LSD? to my understanding, if its an evo tranny, it should.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts