The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another suspension question.

Vr4door

Alright so I've been searching for the past couple weeks on what suspension will work best for my budget, and now is the time for action. I've read just about every suspension post I could find, but nothing really specific to what I want. So here's the deal. I need a solid suspension that won't let the car rock back and forth so hard between shifts when I accelerate fast in a straight line. Right now the car feels like a boat with only about 400awhp, but the engine is getting built this week and shooting for 600awhp so my goal is a nice setup that will stiffen up the car just a bit, I would also like to daily the car so nothing too insane. (Ha we will see how that goes without something breaking first.) I have a budget of about $1000 ish give or take a couple $100. Really would like to stay away from coil overs due to the fact that I can't keep my life time alignments at firestone lol. But if it's my best option I will. Don't really want to lower the vehicle. Don't want evo suspension. Leaning towards AGXs with stock springs, but I don't know if that will be stiff enough as I have never ridden in a car with them. Any suggestions or person experiences will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

transparentdsm

IMHO coilovers or Evo 8/9's with some swift springs are your options. Kybs are garbage the agx's feel like sh*t on our cars. You could maybe do a koni shock with some h&R's, but I haven't used that setup personally.

Right now I have the newest version of the Megan coilovers, took a bit to dial them in, really nice ride quality, and previously I had the Evo 8 mr's with swift springs, loved these for daily driving, they felt great around corners and one the highway, but i got a deal on the coilovers I couldn't pass up.

Last edited:

Nebraska

I really like my D2 coilovers. Very comfortable for being in the budget coilovers genre. There are times we I feel everything on the road, but that’s just a coilover for ya. No body roll, and no lifting sensation on pulls.

gvr4ever

Does anyone know what koni part numbers fit our cars? Who sells them?

G

Staff member
OP, I have a set of zoom lowering springs as well as a set of kg/mm lowering springs for sale. Both are new. Pm me if you are interested.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
Kybs are garbage the agx's feel like sh*t on our cars.

^This. You'll be replacing blown front struts in a couple years, if they make it that long. Personally, I've yet to see a set of lowing springs that even out the ride height from front to back of the Galant without having to chop the rears.

IMO, the best bang for the buck suspension system currently on the market for the GVR-4 is the Feal 441 kit. It's on the high side of your budget, and it's a coilover (obviously), but I think you'd probably be happier in the long run with the performance and adjustability. Lots of info on them here: click

Product specs here: click

Hit up David (ApexHunter). He may be able to get you a deal on a set.

Last edited:

Vr4door

Looks like coilovers are in the future. Torn between BC racing for $950 or some K sports for $785. Anyone have personal experience with either?

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting Vr4door:
Looks like coilovers are in the future. Torn between BC racing for $950 or some K sports for $785. Anyone have personal experience with either?

I run KSport Kontrol Pro (street equivalents) on my C53A hatch, so far so good with respect to them not blowing seals. Ride is quite firm even on the softest setting and moving to 17" wheels made the wheels hop excessively when on very rough roads and damn near split the dash in half on certain potholes in the worst part of town. I went back to the 205/55/15" combination after a few weeks of trying out the larger and arguably, slightly heavier wheel set. I doubt there would be much difference in the settings for the DSM/GVR4 compared to the setup in my lighter car, and the tech is all the same on the inside.
Hopefully BC and for sure the FEALS will ride better, or at least have better wheel control over trying road surface conditions. This is my first time using a set of coilovers. I needed the convenience and stiff spring combination, but the lack of conformity in certain situations leaves me a bit wanting.

diambo4life

I have the D2s, street version and they are very street friendly. They are set on soft on the street and I firm them up for the track. No complaints. Another option.....

Vr4door

I went with some BC coilovers. Haven't seen a bad thing about them yet and the price was right.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting transparentdsm:
have you made the switch to a set of feals yet Brett??

No, but when my JICs sh*t out, a set of Feals will be going on the car. Hoping that's not anytime soon, though. I like my JICs a lot.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

My BC RM series seems to be holding up well. They've seen a bit of track time, both autox and drag, as well as some really spirited driving. I'll be sure and make a huge fuss on the forum here if they wind up shitting the bed. So far, so good!

Bobdole got me a decent deal on them. Under the average $1225 i've been seeing them sell for.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting transparentdsm:
have you made the switch to a set of feals yet Brett??

No, but when my JICs sh*t out, a set of Feals will be going on the car. Hoping that's not anytime soon, though. I like my JICs a lot.

Actually, Feal could rebuild your JIC's if they ever need a rebuild. I had them rebuild a JIC for a 2g sometime ago when I owned a set.

GSTwithPSI

IIRC, Mark hit up Feal when his needed a rebuild a while back and they said they couldn't rebuild them due to the lack of parts. If they can, that's good news.

turbowop

click

Quote:
We DO NOT rebuild (wear parts do not exist):

KW, Tein, Cusco, Kei Office, Inverted type JIC, Inverted type Apexi,GAB, Tanabe, Koni, ST, Function and Form, Flatout.

It states on their website that they can't rebuild JIC inverted dampers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts